LHS Cheer families release statement in response to press release on program suspension

The families of the LHS cheerleading squad wrote and sent a statement to WMUR on Tuesday, Sept. 12.

In this statement, cheer families wrote they “appreciate the school district taking allegations of bullying seriously, and [they] encourage the investigation to make sure that if any misconduct is found it will be dealt with through proper disciplinary channels. [Their] current concerns are with the safety of [their] children due to the premature press release that the School Administration issued before having any of the facts or evidence in hand.” 

They are referring to the press release Superintendent Black sent out to the community on Sept. 8, at the recommendation of the lawyers involved in the case, according to Black.

The cheer family wrote that this press release was “premature,” and that the school administration issued it “before having any of the facts or evidence in hand.”

“The release condemned every single person involved in the cheer organization,” the families wrote, “which is factually untrue.”

“The amount of negative comments and judgement generated towards our children solely by this press release is overwhelming and wrong,” the families wrote. “Coaching Staff, Student Athletes and Parents have all been unfairly tried and persecuted in the court of public opinion and it is taking its toll on innocent children.”

The families hope that through this statement more “empathy and compassion” will be shown to them and the cheer community during this time. 

“We appreciate respect for our privacy while the investigation continues and we await the conclusion,” the families wrote. 

Aside from the statement, members of the LHS cheer community have been expressing their opinions towards Black’s actions and his press release through social media. 

While it was the lawyers for this case who recommended that Black write the press release, families and members of the LHS cheer family have continued to take their opinions to social media blaming Black and first-year LHS principal Richard Barnes for the negative reactions they’ve been facing as a program, which is a concern for Black

“One thing the press release states [from the advice of their lawyer] was that everyone should strive to keep comments and discussion on the investigation out of social media,” Black said. “One thing I am concerned about right now is people involved not following that advice.”

Since this is an ongoing investigation, Black encourages everyone, whether they’re involved or not, to not resort to social media while the allegations are being reviewed.

“All these comments have the potential to be wrapped up into the investigation,” Black said, “ultimately making this process and investigation much longer and more complicated.”