Drama club to put on annual “Haunted Woods” fundraiser this week

The drama club’s annual Haunted Woods fundraiser will occur in the Town Common this week. (Photo created in Canva by Kelly Egan).

The LHS drama club’s annual “haunted woods” fundraiser will occur in the Town Common this week. The event will be held on Oct. 10-12 from 5-8 p.m. 

“Haunted woods” is an outdoor event with an interactive haunted-house-style activity, a “goblin garden” directed towards the younger patrons, and live music performed by the high school jazz band.

This fundraiser has been put on by the club for many years. The event used to be held behind the middle school near the ropes course but for the past three years, the club has held the event in the town common. 

The “goblin garden” aspect of the event was created for the younger patrons who aren’t old enough or are too scared to go through the woods. It includes games, crafts, face paint, tattoos, and concessions. There is also hot apple cider and hot chocolate served.

The “haunted woods” are the main portion of the event. The woods themselves entail guests being led on  a trail through the woods of the common. The tour guides, played by the executive board drama club members, take guests through the woods as other drama club members perform scary skits as the guests walk through.

“My favorite part [of the event] is that it brings the community together,” drama club adviser Ryan Barrett said. “It’s a well-known fall event that we do every year and I love to see the younger kids and the older kids have fun.”

The live music is a new addition to the entertainment at the event. The advisers and executive board decided to add this as part of the event so they could utilize the stage on the common. The high school jazz members perform Halloween-themed songs throughout the night to entertain the guests while they wait to enter the woods and the goblin garden.

“Through [adding live music], we made the event bigger and got more of our community involved, which is always great, not just for us as a Drama Club but also for the town itself,” senior, drama club member, and jazz band member Joey Cain said. “Many people who showed up [last year] were just passing by the common and heard live music and stopped to see what was going on.”

The event will last three nights starting tomorrow. The members of the club are “excited” to act and perform their skits as the event approaches.

“Haunted woods is always a blast,” junior executive board member Julia Pizzi said. “It is a great way of getting people together to kick off the fall season.”