Drama Club announces auditions for this year’s musical

Drama club posts information on how to audition for this year’s musical. The club has decided to put on the hit musical, Mamma Mia. (Photo by Kelly Egan)

The drama club traveled back to the era of early 1900s London last year with their production of My Fair Lady. When choosing this year’s musical, the club ventured to a different part of Europe. They’ll be taking Lancer Nation to the islands of Greece to perform the music of ABBA with the hit musical Mamma Mia in February.

Do you ‘have a dream’ to be a part of this year’s musical? The club has recently announced the information for students who intend to audition.

The audition will entail a singing portion and a dancing portion. Students must prepare a one-minute-long cut of a song of their choice that best showcases their vocal ability. Music teacher and the show’s music director Danielle Loschiavo encourages students to audition because it’s a “feel-good show.”

“Everyone loves a great musical and the music of ABBA,” Loschiavo said. “It’s a show that will get the audiences dancing.”

Two audition workshops will be held after school on Monday, Oct. 30th, and Thursday, Nov. 2nd. In these workshops, junior and student assistant choreographer Maddie Tufts will be teaching the dance combination that students must perform during the dance portion of the audition. Tufts “highly encourages” students to join the drama club and audition if they can.

“This is such an upbeat and fun musical, with an interesting and wild storyline,” Tufts said. “I have done this show before and loved every aspect of it. The songs, characters, and dancing are to die for.”

The show will be directed by middle school music teacher Molly Goldstein. Goldstein has directed the past two LHS productions, those being Freaky Friday in 2022 and My Fair Lady in 2023. She is excited about this year’s show and expresses that students can “pretend [they’re] in Greece on an island” through being in the musical. 

“You can escape reality in drama club through the show,” Goldstein said. “The music is so catchy and fun and the dancing is going to be phenomenal.” 

Students must fill out an audition form before Nov. 7th to audition. Find Loschiavo in room 318 or drama club adviser Ryan Barrett in room 156 for more information on joining the drama club’s Google Classroom and how to audition.