YA books to get you in the Holiday spirit

For readers, the consumption of books doesn’t stop despite the craziness of the holiday season. 

If you’re a reader looking for a cute festive romance, look no further. There are so many feel-good holiday books, with all sorts of Hallmark movie-esque tropes to get you through this holiday season.

You’re a Mean One Matthew Prince by Timothy Janovsky

‘You’re a Mean One Matthew Prince’ cover, image by Sourcebooks Casablanca publishing

Matthew Prince is young, rich, and thoroughly spoiled. So what if his parents barely remember he exists and the press is totally obsessed with him? He’s on top of the world. But one major PR misstep later, and Matthew is cut off and shipped away to spend the holidays in his grandparents’ charming small town hellscape. Population: who cares?

It’s bad enough he’s stuck in some festive winter wonderland―it’s even worse that he has to share space with Hector Martinez, an obnoxiously attractive local who’s unimpressed with anything and everything Matthew does.

Just when it looks like the holiday season is bringing nothing but heated squabbles, the charity gala loses its coordinator and Matthew steps in as a saintly act to get home early on good behavior…with Hector as his maddening plus-one. But even a Grinch can’t resist the unexpected joy of found family, and in the end, the forced proximity and infectious holiday cheer might be enough to make a lonely Prince’s heart grow three sizes this year.

As someone who read this holiday book last year, I can attest that it is such a cute romance for the holiday season, full of angst and love. It’s witty and charming, and is sure to earn a spot in your favorite festive novels.

Kiss Her Once For Me by Alison Cochrun

‘Kiss Her Once for Me’ cover, image by Atria Books publishing

One year ago, recent Portland transplant Ellie Oliver had her dream job in animation and a Christmas Eve meet-cute with a woman at a bookstore that led her to fall in love over the course of a single night. But after a betrayal the next morning and the loss of her job soon after, she finds herself adrift, alone, and desperate for money.

Finding work at a local coffee shop, she’s just getting through the days—until Andrew, the shop’s landlord, proposes a shocking, drunken plan: a marriage of convenience that will give him his recent inheritance and alleviate Ellie’s financial woes and isolation. They make a plan to spend the holidays together at his family cabin to keep up the ruse. But when Andrew introduces his new fiancée to his sister, Ellie is shocked to discover it’s Jack—the mysterious woman she fell for over the course of one magical Christmas Eve the year before. Now, Ellie must choose between the safety of a fake relationship and the risk of something real.

This feel good holiday novel is one that’s personally on my “to be read” list for this December. I’m so excited to read it, and the ‘fake dating’ trope is one that is very coveted by romance readers, and will capture their interest.

In a Holidaze by Christina Lauren

‘In a Holidaze’ cover, image by Gallery Books publishing

It’s the most wonderful time of the year…but not for Maelyn Jones. She’s living with her parents, hates her going-nowhere job, and has just made a romantic error of epic proportions.

But perhaps worst of all, this is the last Christmas Mae will spend at her favorite place in the world—the snowy Utah cabin where she and her family have spent every holiday since she was born. Mentally melting down as she drives away from the cabin for the final time, Mae throws out what she thinks is a simple plea to the universe: Please. Show me what will make me happy.

The next thing she knows, tires screech, metal collides, and everything goes black. But when Mae gasps awake…she’s on an airplane bound for Utah, where she begins the same holiday all over again. With one hilarious disaster after another sending her back to the plane, Mae must figure out how to break free of the strange time loop—and finally get her true love under the mistletoe.

Christina Lauren is an author highly coveted by members of the romance reading community, known widely for her popular romance novel Love and Other Words. Lauren is a master at writing the perfect romances, and this book is no exception.

Season of Love by Helena Greer

‘Season of Love’ cover, image by Forever publishing

Thanks to her thriving art career, Miriam Blum finally has her decoupaged glitter ducks in a row—until devastating news forces her to a very unwanted family reunion. Her beloved great-aunt Cass has passed and left Miriam part-owner of Carrigan’s, her (ironically) Jewish-run Christmas tree farm.

But Miriam’s plans to sit shiva, avoid her parents, then put Carrigan’s in her rearview mirror are spoiled when she learns the business is at risk of going under. To have any chance at turning things around, she’ll need to work with the farm’s grumpy manager—as long as the attraction sparking between them doesn’t set all their trees on fire first.

Noelle Northwood wants Miriam Blum gone—even if her ingenious ideas and sensitive soul keep showing Noelle there’s more to Cass’s niece than meets the eye. But saving Carrigan’s requires trust, love, and risking it all—for the chance to make their wildest dreams come true.

This love story surrounds Hanukkah and has the sunshine/ grumpy joke that so many readers love. It’s personally on my list for this holiday season, and I’m expecting it to be a super cute and feel good read.