Women Take Action Wrap It Up!

Club co-president and adviser speak on their recent wrapping paper fundraiser.
Women Take Action at their first meeting on Sept. 19. From there, they pick up the pace in achieving their goals. Their main goal so far have been encouraging people to join WTA and come together to give back to the community. Photo by Jennifer Viel

While the holiday season is a time to spend time with loved ones and relax, members of one of LHS’s newest clubs, Women Take Action, have banded together to give back to the less fortunate.

Back in November, WTA co-presidents, Sienna Piland and Kelsey Sweet spent hours Brainstorming ideas for countless fundraisers and events raising awareness and money for women’s shelters around the state. One such idea, having a wrapping paper fundraiser, had the goal of combining a common holiday item with helping women in need.

Over the course of two weeks, Women Take Action raised over $800 in proceeds through this fundraiser, which was spent on purchasing items off of St. Gianna’s Place wishlist. Advisers and co-presidents had the opportunity to visit St. Gianna’s Place to donate all of the gifts they received for Christmas in-person. 

Club adviser, Jennifer Viel, is very proud of the success of this fundraiser. 

“I love watching people come together at our meetings when the turnout is successful,” Viel said.

Viel “always looks to the positive side” of everything she’s involved in. Women Take Action allows her to make a positive impact while enabling young women to do the same.

“Empowering high school students to advocate for themselves is so important,” Viel said. “Taking care of each other and creating a positive change and positive environment for our school is our main focus” 

Alongside Advisor Viel, co-president Sienna Piland is passionate about the organization because of “how much meaning it has behind it.”. 

“It was a really great fundraiser, and the turnout was better than we expected,” Piland said. “ I’m really happy with what we achieved,” 

Coming off of the success of their wrapping paper fundraiser, WTA’s  next fundraiser is a shoe drive running from now until Dec. 31. All shoes will be donated worldwide to those in need.

“We would love for people to donate towards this fundraiser,” Piland said. 

Women Take Action meetings are open to everyone, And Piland has confidence that all members will “enjoy being a part of it.” 

“Lifting each other up is so important,” Piland said, “we can’t let each other down.” 

WTA spends time trying to create fundraisers that they know can “benefit people the most.” 

“Shelters are looking for help, and anything we can give is so important, especially during the holiday season,” Piland said. 

Piland would love to see more students attend meetings to see what the club is about. The club is open to students of all genders, not just women.

“I’m really hoping to attract a lot of people to [WTA,]  it’s going to take time, but it’s worth it to try to be able to pass this on to grade below us,” Piland said.