The Community Service Club gives back

The Community Service Club is always busy when the holiday season comes around. The club knows that the holiday season can be a hard time for some people, yet they are always there to bring cheer to as many people as they are able to.
CSC
Community Service Club

The Community Service Club wants Lancer Nation to know what they are all about, and giving their time to the community shows people just that.

The Community Service Club’s mission is to create opportunities for students to give back to their community.According to historian and senior Abby Harrigton, “You won’t want to miss them.”

The Community Service Club had the opportunity to go to the WMUR station to drop off toys. 

“WMUR was a great experience, and I hope people will come to our upcoming meetings to plan for future events,” Harrington said. 

Even though Harrington is looking to the future, she still is satisfied with all the holiday events that have set the holiday activities high. 

“Blue angels and toys for tots are such warming events,” Harrington said. “I’m so excited to see where the rest of the holiday season events lead us.” 

Harrington wants to send a message to Lancer message that they are still advertising. 

“Any new toys, big or small, or anything that people are able to donate would be great,” Harrington said. 

Harrington has noticed new faces attend meetings, and become more involved with our events. 

“I love watching everyone come together for events, watching people give to the community is so powerful,” Harrington said. 

President Sarah Defazio has been a part of the club for two years, and she has become very involved and encourages Lancer Nation to attend upcoming meetings to prepare holiday cards for the assisted living community. 

“I love giving back to the community, especially during the holidays when people need extra support,” Defazio said. “We will be making cards for assisted living communities, being pen pals, and just spending time with them. This is a new thing.”

Defazio encourages Lancer Nation to attend Community Service Club meetings.

“People should join because it is a very rewarding, and fulfilling club to be part of,” Defazio said. 

Defazio and Harrington both agreed that they love spending time with advisors, Susan Wakelin and Kelly Giguere.

“The whole club, and the advisors always have such positive attitudes,” Harrington said. “Our members always put so much effort into meetings, and our planned events, it means so much to the community.”

Kelly Giguere loves being a part of the community service club as much as the students. 

“It gives people purpose and meaning,” Giguere said. “Seeing students attend meetings to give back to the community is so important.”

Wakelin loves the relationships that she makes from the community she surrounds herself in. 

“Mrs. Wakelin and I have a great relationship,” Giguere said. “We have the same mindset, which makes us work well together.” 

Wakelin is no stranger to advising  the Community Service Club. Students came to Wakelin years back to talk about the idea of students not having the opportunity to just provide for their community. 

“In 2011, there was a student I had as a freshman,  he was a junior at the time,” Wakelin said. “He started with smaller events and then got the community involved.” 

Wakelin did not turn this opportunity down because she has always enjoyed giving back to the community. 

“I was always part of these types of clubs,” Wakelin said. “I have always had a strong connection.”

Wakelin has always had a love for giving back to the community especially because it runs in the family.

“My grandmother is the nicest person I have ever met, and she has definitely influenced me a lot,” Wakelin said. “She was always involved in her church, and community and gave her time to the community, she always believed you could help in some way.” 

Wakelin does it for the community, but most of all she does it for herself.

“I love the feeling,” Wakelin said. “That is why I do it. Seeing people’s faces brighten when your helping others is so powerful.”

When Wakelin watches members help out the community it always leaves her with a smile on her face. 

“You can tell that it means a lot,” Wakelin said. “The students feel that they are making an impact and when I see that I feel it in my heart.”