Londonderry Swim team dives into states

Hanna Carroll
Junior Braedon Raduazzo showing off the swim team merch before state day.

The New Hampshire swim state finals are around the corner, and the Londonderry swim team has qualified and are excited to compete.

“It feels so good to have made it to states,” junior and team member Ali Von Pichl said. This year we have a team with a whole bunch of potential for the future that this year only feels like the beginning of a great team. With all the prep for states the team is excited for all the activities and bonding with each other.”

Although you need to practice a lot for state finals the team still has fun leading up to the exciting event.

“Going into states, I’m really excited for secret cyclers. It’s almost like secret Santa we do for teammates the week before states,” junior and team member Braedon Raduazzo said. “You get them a little gift every day to hype them up and get them ready and show support. I’m also really excited for the atmosphere and just overall team bonding that it will bring.”

Some team members, like sophomore Leah Doherty, are experiencing states for the first time in their life, so having support is key from both teammates and close ones.

“I feel really proud of myself especially because it’s my first year ever making states, I like having my dad there to support me and I really liked our team. I think it was a good group of people,” sophomore Leah Doherty said.

The swimmers getting ready to dive into practice. (Macie Thomas)

Since there are no seniors on the team this year they don’t have to say goodbye to any teammates graduating. 

“It’ll basically be the same roster we had with maybe some additions, but I’m always excited to see where the season goes and how it turns out,” said Raduazzo.

Because there are no seniors, the juniors have had the privilege of leading the team mates and making sure they are having a good season.

“This season we have all been so much closer than in my first years on the team. I guess it’s a different standpoint as an upperclassman,” said Von Pichl. -They all feel like my children I have to protect, but in the best way.”

The team has grown very close to each other this year, and they have shared memories that they will remember for a long time. The team loves to give each other things that will make each other happy. 

Juniors Ari Fennessey and Braedon Radduazzo give a thumbs up on the way to another meet. (Photo by Macie Thomas)

“This year I’ve had a really fun time with some of our newer kids, teaching in a way that can build our relationship with them that we can carry on till later years,” said Raduazzo. “One time specifically Theo Paccione, a sophomore on the team, surprised me with tickets to a Bruins game on my birthday to TD Garden and had a great time.”

The season is coming to an end, but according to Von Pichl she had “the best time.”

“It’s going to be sad to leave this team after next year’s season and the thing I’m going to miss the most is the memories of sitting in the aerobics room just talking and laughing with everyone. I’m gonna miss the memories of sitting in the aerobics room just talking and laughing with everyone,” said Von Pichl. “I’m gonna miss the holiday party with all the desserts and the after meets team dinners where everyone is exhausted and just wants to go home. we all end up shoving food in our mouth and leaving. but i am gonna miss the team dynamic since we are a small group, everyone gets much closer with each other and cliques don’t exist. We are all friends who feel open to being themselves.”