Destiny vs Relevancy

49ers vs Chiefs (Designed in Canva)

Another year of football concludes Sunday, Feb. 11, and along with most football fans, I will be hoping somehow both teams lose. I would have been ok with any teams being here except the San Francisco 49ers and the Kansas City Chiefs. 

On paper, it looks like the game of the year, Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs are looking to be the first team to go back-to-back since the Patriots back in 05’ and 06’, and Travis Kelce could make every Swifties dream come true by proposing to Taylor Swift after winning the big game. This also would mark Mahomes 3rd Super Bowl, and have sports media everywhere scrambling to find new comparisons between him and Brady.

On the other hand, you have the 49ers who have been arguably the best team all season and come into this Superbowl looking for revenge. You would think being led by a guy nicknamed “Mr. Irrelevant” wouldn’t do much for your team, but Brock Purdy has been more than relevant in the 49er’s run to get here, and Christian McCaffery and the arsenal of weapons he possesses have been a huge factor to their relevance. 

Mahomes and the Chiefs have been dominant throughout the playoffs, but dropping 17 points in the Superbowl won’t cut it. If the Chiefs offense comes out hot and gets Kelce involved early, it could be a long night for 49ers fans. 

The 49ers on the other hand have been starting cold in each of their playoff games, with near losses to both the Packers and Lions, which is not good by any metric, but they have been able to face lots of adversity to get here, and I think thats what will put them over the top in this game. The 49ers have all the pieces and more from their 2020 team that fell to the Chiefs the first time, and Brock Purdy is ready to make sure it doesn’t happen again. 

Final score will be 24-20 with the 49ers finally winning one, and Chrisitan McCaffery will win Super Bowl MVP.