Band seniors reflect on their final concert as members of LHS’ music department

Domenica Vacca
D period band after finishing their final performance for the school year.

As the school year comes to an end, the seniors of the music department finish their final concert at LHS. Many of the seniors have been a part of the band since their freshman year, becoming a big part of their high school careers. 

“I joined the marching band my freshman year but I was a part of the music program in middle school,” senior Sam Parisi said. “I kind of hated it but I got pushed into joining here and I’m glad that I did.”

While being able to practice music on a daily basis, being a part of the band also allowed many students to go on trips they would have never had the opportunity to go on otherwise.

“Some of my favorite memories from being in band are definitely the trips,” senior Genevieve Greene said. “I never thought that I would be able to travel to Disney or London during my high school years, but through the band I had a chance to experience all the activities Mr. Beaulieu had planned for us.”

Even for students that hadn’t been a part of the band for all four years like senior Jasmyn Johnson, being a member still had a large impact on their high school experience.

“I’m happy that I got to have the experience of being in the band this year because it not only allowed me to make friends but also was a great experience,” Johnson said. “I was so scared at first because I didn’t know many people in my trumpet section but I had other friends in other sections that made starting out a little better.”

Each senior has had different experiences from being a part of the band which made an impact on them.

“Band camp was the greatest experience I’ve ever had,” Johnson said. “It was multiple long days that always had smiles and laughs. Ms. Dawson told all the seniors that we had to be role models and I took that and did the best I could. I made them laugh and always found ways for us to have fun. I never would have gotten through the band without my trumpet section.”

With the final band concert coming to an end, it leaves a lot of mixed emotions for some seniors.

“It’s a little bittersweet,” Parisi said, “it’s my last concert apart from the one on the common. I’m happy about it. I’ve liked being able to see everyone progress, especially younger members of the band.”

While parting ways with LHS’ music department, some seniors will be pursuing careers in music to help spread their love of music to others.

“The reason I want to do music education is because of this program here,” Parisi said. “I didn’t go into high school thinking I wanted to be a music teacher. I was dead set on doing something with math. I can barely do math now. The progression through this community, this family, helped culminate my love for music and desire to give other people the same experience that I’ve had.”

While not every graduating member of the band plans to pursue music careers, others will continue to be a part of ensembles in college. 

“I definitely plan on continuing music after high school,” Greene said. “I’ve committed to Wheaton College and they have a Wind Symphony as well as a Flute Choir that is welcome to anyone. There’s no way I wouldn’t continue music after practically having a flute glued to my hands for so long.”

Being a part of the music department has left lasting impressions on many students and for Parisi, his experience was “fantastic.”

“It’s such a great community of people. With this many people, we all have a commonality,” Parisi said. “We like to play music, we like to be involved and having almost 200 kids with that mindset, it’s like it’s family. It’s going to be difficult to walk away from it.”

As graduation nears closer, the band seniors reflect on the impact the band has had on them and what they’ll be leaving behind.

“I’m sad that I’m leaving the band mainly because I’ll miss the friends I made but I hope that I made their year the best it could be because we have grown as a whole group,” Johnson said. “I plan to join a music club in college and I know I will still remember what it was like with my experience in the LHS music department.”