Lancers “speak up” for third year

Students and teachers meet and pet animals at Lancer “speak up” day. (Photo by Sean Cornett)

Health teacher Holly Lafore organized a mental health day for LHS students on May 24 2024. This day is curated to give kids a break from classes and to learn more about the importance of mental health.

“This event includes all LHS students who will rotate with their class through three different areas,” Lafore said. “The areas include our guest speakers, The Up Team, community vendors along with school clubs for local resources, comfort animals and a variety of activities for students to participate in on the track.”

This is the third year of the event. It all started back when LHS when 2022 graduate Sage Matzker had the idea for the event.

“She had a vision to bring the student body together to create a safe place and allow for discussions and activities to promote student’s mental health,” Lafore said.

Since this event first happened in 2022, it has grown and expanded.

“We have continued this amazing event that Sage began and have expanded it to a student’s total wellness,” Lafore said.