Fratellis mount an endearing return

Fratellis mount an endearing return
Fair use image from Cooking Vinyl

Three years after their unexpected return, one mediocre album and the gladly forgotten Soul Crush EP later, the Fratellis finally brought it home.

The Scottish trio set out in 2005 as three men playing at their local pub, and within a year were topping the charts across the pond. The insatiably danceable beat of “Chelsea Dagger” was the type of pumped-up single that a little band needed to give themselves a bright future. Costello Music, their raucous debut album, brought them international acclaim, but the rise to the top proved to be too much too fast. After the release of their second studio album Here We Stand, it was apparent that the group had potential, but their sound had yet to crystallize. The band decided to take a break and went on hiatus for a few years after this.

The band decided to revive the fading band for another run at the charts. In 2013 the band released We Need Medicine, but the decidedly negative reaction it garnered spoke volumes. The album overall was a downgrade from the previous two, and things looked to be decidedly dire for the Fratellis. That being said, the group has a penchant for unexpected success. In late August 2015, the trio finally struck gold,

The new, exciting sounds of their fourth studio album Eyes Wide, Tongue Tied, have raised the bar for the Fratellis once more. The band strayed from their typical repertoire, bringing in a variety of new influences and sounds that give the songs a big boost. Still, there is enough of the familiar Fratellis sound so as to not alienate longtime listeners. The new approach consists of varying slow and smooth flow to a pop-rock feel. Slower songs on the album, such as “Moonshine,” recall John Mayer-esque danceable pop.  As the tender track fades out, the band steps back to their rocking roots on “Down The Road And Back Again.”

With the new direction taken in their career, The Fratellis found their new sound. However, despite all the flashy theatrics and exciting tracks, there was something indescribable missing. It tries to be too many things at once; a jack-of-all-trades album that fails to quite grasp anything in particular. 

7/10