Radio club to track Santa Claus

This years holiday programming will focus on the history of Santa tracking in radio, from Cold War-era announcements to the present day.
Photo used with permission from LHS Radio CLub
This year’s holiday programming will focus on the history of Santa tracking in radio, from Cold War-era announcements to the present day.

This year, the LHS Radio Club will continue its longstanding Christmas Eve tradition.

WLLO-LP, the low-power FM radio station for the Londonderry School District, has participated in its annual Santa Watch for several years. The program runs sporadically through Christmas Eve, providing updates on Santa’s location and status as he makes his yearly trek across the globe.

The tradition hearkens back to the mid-50s, when the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) used its radar equipment to keep the children of America up-to-date on Santa’s whereabouts.

This year’s show will feature clips of vintage NORAD recordings, interspersed with modern-day segments written and voiced by Radio Club members exploring the history of Santa tracking over the years.

Additionally, WLLO-LP will continue a new Christmas tradition for the second time this year in the form of LEO-103’s An Unconventional Christmas, an hour-long show of rare or little-heard holiday music, ranging from indie to Motown.

WLLO-LP’s Santa Watch 2015 starts at 6:00 PM on Christmas Eve, with regular updates every twenty minutes until roughly 7:45. An Unconventional Christmas will premier on Christmas Eve and be replayed sporadically throughout Christmas Day. WLLO-LP’s holiday programming can be found on the dial at 102.9 FM.