Lancer Dance Team Shines in Peterborough

Photo by Ms. Wooding
The LHS Dance Team wins big at the Fifth Annual Middle and High School Dance Team Competition at South Meadow School

Competing against teams from all over the state, the dance team dominated at the Peterborough dance competition last week. Despite missing five members of their team, they won first place in the contemporary category and second place in the jazz category with the number they performed at the recent Day of Giving assembly.

“I was really proud,” dance team coach Ms. Wooding said. “The team did a fantastic job and we had a fun time.”

However, the festivities – and awards for the dancers – did not end there. At intermission, participants had the opportunity to take part in an improv contest. Members from all teams could compete against others of the same age and improvise in front of judges.

Two LHS dancers placed in the top three of the four that took part in the contest. Sophomore Haley Gyorda and one of the Dance Team captains junior Reilly Brassard took second and first place respectively.

“It was nerve-wracking to improvise in front of the judges, but dancing with the others on the stage at the same time made it feel easier,” Brassard said.

As the competition came to a close and judges were placing their scores, dancers and coaches alike enjoyed an impromptu dance off.

“It was my favorite part of the competition,” Wooding said. “It was really funny to watch, and it allowed for the dancers to share their love for dance.”

The dance team is currently preparing for their next competition in February.

“The team is super hard working,” Wooding said. “What they do on a daily basis, balancing the many hours of dance and school, is impressive.”