Sophomore Johnson to start on varsity

Sophomore Ben Johnson will be filling in as quarterback for injured senior Bobby McEachern.
Photo courtesy of Ben Johnson
Ben Johnson will be the first sophomore quarterback in 18 years.

The last time the Lancer football team has had a sophomore starting as quarterback was in 1997. That was 18 years ago. This 2015 season, sophomore Ben Johnson is stepping into the role after senior quarterback, Bobby McEachern’s recent injury.

“He is a fearless player,” varsity head coach, James Lauzon said. “He always wants the ball in his hands and strives on the big moment plays during the course of the game.”

Johnson has played football since he was in 5th grade and has since then put in countless hours of practice to be in the position he is in today.

“I always wanted to be a part of a team,” Johnson said. “I would do anything to get on the field, and quarterback was my way to be a part of this team.”

During his first game as starting quarterback against Dover High School, Johnson had a total of 388 yards, making a statement that the Lancers will thrive regardless of previous setbacks. Johnson had 138 rushing yards and 150 passing yards that day, with three passing touchdowns and one rushing touchdown.

The football team has one common goal every year: beat Pinkerton Academy in the Mack Plaque, and Johnson is determined to do just that.

“I am constantly working on my game to get better every day,” Johnson said. “I need to stay focused on the task at hand and spend all my time on football.”

Fellow teammate and senior captain Nick Donnelly thinks highly of his quarterback this year.

“Ben is one of the hardest working kids on the field,” Donnelly said. “I know he will do what he needs to do to get the starting spot. Johnson puts in extra work after every practice.”

Even though he is currently starting, every practice Johnson must compete and work for his position with junior quarterback Jake Stevens. Both Stevens and Johnson have seen game time and they both get snaps throughout the game.

Nonetheless, Johnson knows not to let the “fame” get to his head, and works every day to improve his game.

“[Johnson] will always work harder than his competition,” Donnelly said. “He is locked in on the task at which he must overcome and succeed.”