Cheer team captures first State Championship

Photo by Caroline Kelly
The entire varsity cheer team squeezes in for a photo beside their State Championships banner and new plaque to take back home.

Londonderry’s fall cheerleading team has not taken home a championship since their program began, while Pinkerton has taken home the last seven.

But this past weekend, they defied the odds.

The cheerleaders beat Pinkerton and won 1st place at the NHIAA D1 States. (At Pinkerton, of all places.)

“Going into States we were all extremely nervous,” senior Kathryn Hempfield said. “We knew we were going to have to hit everything and more to be able to win.”

With a season beginning long before school started, on August 11, and with practices two hours long, which sometimes includes lifting, the cheer team has been out to win since the get-go.

The team won first place at their first competition, Cheer Madness in October, and from there they went on to Capital City: Battle at the Capitol where they placed third.

After those competitions, all that was left of the season was States.

During their ten-minute warm up at States, their nerves increased to new heights.

“We were only really hoping for second because we know Pinkerton has never lost,” Hempfield said.

As the team waited to be called to perform, they did their good luck chant right before, as they always do. “WHO ARE WE? LVC…SEND IT!”

Once the team took the mat, they did their job. They fought for stunts, they pushed for higher jumps, they pulled their tumbling, but most importantly, they had fun.

“The energy coming from the crowd was insane,” Hempfield said.

Once their two-minute and 30-second routine was complete, they grabbed water and watched the last team perform.

Then, there were the awards.

“The whole team was holding hands so tight,” Hempfield said. “As soon as the MC said, ‘And your NHIAA runner-up is Pinkerton,’ every single cheerleader was in absolute shock.”

“As soon as Pinkerton was announced second place,” senior team captain Meghan Evangelista said, “I was genuinely happy for whatever team that got first. That was a good enough win for me, and I was so proud of the routine we put out.”

These seniors, in the four years they have been on this team, have never been to a State Championship Pinkerton has not placed first in.

All around Londonderry, the other teams immediately pointed towards them. “They all said, ‘It’s you, Londonderry, you won,’” senior team captain Kaylie Longua said.

Nonetheless, win or lose, the team all collectively knew that they did their best.

Then as the MC said, “And your NHIAA Division One state champion is…Londonderry,” the team jumped from their seats, screaming with joy.

Photo by Kathryn Hempfield
11 of the team’s cheerleaders huddle and place hands on their new plaque: Fall Co-Ed Spirit Division 1 Champion 2017.

An unreal feeling, according to Hempfield.

The team flew down to the mats where they were congratulated by everyone with high-fives. Celebrating and taking pictures for so long, they had to actually be kicked out.

“After Londonderry was called for first place I was so unbelievably proud of what my team and I had just accomplished,” senior team captain Cassie Stuart said. “It was the best feeling and I never wanted it to end. We all ran down so excitedly, hugging each other and taking pictures of the plaque we had just won.”

Afterwards, the whole team went out to dinner, then later met their parents for cake and a second celebration.

“It was one of the best feelings,” senior team captain Hannah Martin said. “Like finally everyone else was realizing how amazing I always knew we were.”

The team’s coach even declared that win was better than her wedding day.

“Nothing will ever be a better feeling than that moment,” Hempfield said. “We finally took down Pinkerton, and hope to keep winning this winter.”

Because who are they? LVC.

Thoughts on how it feels to be State Champions

Photo by Cassie Stuart
Senior team captain Cassie Stuart takes a selfie of her and her teammates celebrating on the bus ride home after winning the NHIAA D1 State Champions. The girls not only took home a team plaque, but each girl also received an individual medal to commemorate their victory.

Senior Captain Meghan Evangelista: “We accomplished something that we, as well as other teams, couldn’t. We were the ‘G.O.A.T.s’. I have never been prouder of our team and all of our hard work.”

Senior Captain Kaylie Longua: “Everything that we worked so hard for throughout the season finally paid off. We finally got what we deserved.”

Senior Captain Hannah Martin: “It was one of the best feelings, like finally everyone else was realizing how amazing I always knew we were.”

Senior Captain Cassie Stuart: “It’s something I’ve been dreaming of for four years, and in that one moment all of my dreams came true. It proves that teamwork, hard work and determination pays off.”

Senior Allie Nadeau: “I was in shock. I couldn’t believe that something I had been dreaming about since my freshman year had finally happened. I’ve never been so happy and proud of my team and will remember that moment forever.”

Senior Ally Rose: “I was in shock, and I will always remember the exact moment. Never have I been so proud of a team.”

Senior Erin Kelly: “I instantly thought about how proud I was of my team. In my freshman year, I never thought this would’ve happened. We’ve come so far.”

Senior Jess Brien: “I will forever be grateful that I got to experience this unforgettable win with my best friends, and I wouldn’t trade them for the world: Winning or losing.”

Senior Kathryn Hempfield: “The feeling I had when I heard the name ‘Londonderry’ come out was something I can’t even explain. After four years of dedication to this sport our work paid off.”

Senior Katie Host: “I was in complete awe and couldn’t stop smiling. It was truly one of those moments in life I’ll never forget.”

Senior Sara Berte: “I was in shock because no one was expecting it. We didn’t even think we placed because Pinkerton got second place so we were all so humble until we heard the news.”

Senior Taylor Mellinger: “I was just filled with joy. I couldn’t believe my team actually made history and did what everyone thought no one could do. I’m proud to have been a part of this team for these four years.”

Senior Victoria Kelly: “The excitement was unreal. I couldn’t believe it. All our hard work has finally paid off.”

Junior Katie Hughes: “When I heard the announcer call ‘Londonderry,’ I immediately thought of all the hard practices paying off. I knew throughout the season each practice not only brought us closer together, but one step closer to claiming the trophy that we all know we deserved and brought home.”

Junior Katie Leger: “My heart stopped and I was speechless . . . Londonderry finally did what we thought was the impossible.”

Sophomore Ashley Greenwood: “It was such an unforgettable feeling and I would not have wanted to win with any other team.”

Sophomore Emma Gehris: “I heard the ‘L’ in ‘Londonderry’ and instantly was so unexplainably happy that my best friends, and I had just made history.”

Sophomore Sam McCarthy: “I couldn’t even believe it. After all the hard work we put into this season, we had finally proved to everyone that we could do what was thought to be impossible.”

Freshman Alanna Mobbs: “I can’t even describe how I felt . . . It was amazing to finally see how much all of our hard work had paid off.”

Freshman Alyssa Pitrys: “In the moment, it felt like everything stopped around us . . . It was so surreal, and I am beyond grateful that we got the recognition we deserve.”

Freshman Lilly Tharrington: “It was the best feeling in the world, one I will never forget. I would relive it over and over again if I could.”

Freshman Nikki Longua: “I was surprised and it was a really good feeling. I was happy for my sister and the seniors.”