Journalism 1 class looking toward the future

Fresh new faces fill journalism adviser Mrs. DeWinkeleer’s room and shortly after arriving, begin the process of learning how to become real journalists.

For years students have been taught how to properly write thesis papers, but that is not the goal of the Journalism 1 curriculum.

“There’s a lot of new information being thrown at us, but I am already learning a ton about different types of writing that I’ve always wanted to know more about,” senior Caylin McNamara said.

The environment of the journalism classroom isn’t like others in the building. Students are allowed to voice their opinions freely and get feedback from other students in the class. They do not have to worry about being judged or ridiculed for what they say.

“I like that it is a safe environment where I can actually say what I think, unlike in the hallways,” sophomore Alexandra Seeley said. “I want my opinions to be heard, and I feel as if this class finally gives me that chance.”  

People with all different interests and hobbies gather together in room 411 and are given the opportunity to meet and socialize with people they have never met before. Through interviewing and using each other as sources of information, people who have never talked before end up sharing information and helping each other throughout the year.

“This class will help me become more social because I have always been really nervous talking to people,” sophomore Maddy Martin said.  

Journalism 1 has helped students in ways that affect their whole lives. This class allows people to discover talents that they didn’t know they had. It also encourages people to explore options they may want to pursue later in life. Maddy Martin wants to be a writer when she is older and believes this class will help her to achieve that goal.

“Journalism 1 will look really good for writing colleges and will make me more comfortable having people read my writing,” Martin said.  

Former journalism student and Londonderry High School alumna, Kelsey Andrews has applied the skills she learned in this class to the real world.    

“Journalism has taught me to stay true to what I believe and always look for the truth in any situation life may throw my way,” Andrews said. “It has helped me time and time again not only in college, but just throughout life in general.”