Senior quarterback leads much improved group to a fast start

Cormier+starts+his+windup+to+rocket+the+ball+down+field.+
Photo courtesy of Evan Cormier
Cormier starts his windup to rocket the ball down field.

The success of the Lancer football team this year depends heavily on their leader, senior quarterback Evan Cormier. 

As the leader of the team, Cormier says “that he doesn’t feel any pressure because he knows that other guys can step up when he doesn’t.”

“Whenever I have a bad game, I know Kayo, Holland or Wiedy will pick up the slack for me,” Cormier said. “I know that my teammates will always have my back.”

Cormier is the rock of his team, so he has the responsibility of amping up of the team before the start of a game.

“In the huddle, I just try to say something to light a fire under them,” Cormier said.

The Lancers are off to a hot start this season, and are riding high with confidence after their 28-21 come from behind win against Salem, and the following win over Timberlane the next week.

However, coming off the Mack Plaque loss, Cormier is confident that the team is still feeling good about themselves going forward.

“We know that we are about three or four wins from being in the playoffs right now,” Cormier said. “We have that one goal and we are confident that we can achieve that.”

Cormier’s teammate and reliable offensive lineman Josh Berube is looking to grow from this loss and move forward as the season concludes.

“Obviously it was a tough one to lose, but we are looking to build off of it and make the playoffs,” Berube said. “We know that ending Pinkerton’s season would be a much better feeling than winning the Mack Plaque game.”

To get to this point, the players had to put in a lot of hard work, and it started with double-session practices in the summer. Practices are grueling for any fall athlete, but especially for football players with all the gear they pile on every day. As the leader of the team, the day is a little bit tougher for Cormier as he has to make sure that everyone is in line and doing the right things.

As the quarterback, there will be little down time for Cormier, even when the offense is not practicing plays. As the defensive side of the ball is working, he has another task that further exemplifies his leadership role.

“When the team is doing defensive drills, I basically act as a scout,” Cormier said. “I have to make sure everyone is running the right play.”

Cormier also explained how a typical practice is conducted, broken up into three periods: the offense, the defense and special teams.

The varsity quarterback went on to describe his thoughts about knowing it was his last year playing at LHS.

“It’s kind of scary to know that it’s my last year playing here, but I am hoping to get a chance to play in college in the future,” Cormier said.

Cormier has looked at a variety of schools such as the University of Rhode Island, Franklin Pierce, Scared Heart, and Holy Cross.

“It’s a big goal of mine to play for a D1 school, and I think if I keep working hard I can accomplish that goal,” Cormier said.