Red Sox odds look good heading into the post season

Fenway Park, home of the Red Sox, filling up before their game against the Atlanta Braves.

Photo by Morgan Torre

Photo by Morgan Torre

Zach Malcolm, Sports Editor

The Boston Red Sox have been a team on a mission this season. With the regular season coming to a close, the Sox ended with MLB’s best record, 108-54. This was a historic season for the franchise, in which they won more games than any other season ever.

First year manager Alex Cora has been able to construct one of the best offenses in the league, along with a very solid defense.

The offense is led by their two studs: J.D. Martinez and Mookie Betts. Both players are having MVP caliber seasons, but Betts has to be the front runner. He is hitting .346 with 32 home runs and 30 stolen bases. J.D. Martinez is hitting .330 with 43 home runs and a league leading 130 RBI’s.

The biggest difference between the two is that Mookie Betts is one of the best defensive right fielders in the MLB along with being an offensive force. J.D. is the typical designated hitter for the squad meaning he does not have to play the field to make his mark on game.

The playoffs are going to be underway very soon. The Oakland Athletics and New York Yankees are playing in the AL Wild Card match up on Wednesday night to see who the Sox will be playing in the second round of the playoffs. Boston has seen New York plenty this season and they should prove to be a tough match up down the stretch.

The Yankees are a high powered offense led by Aaron Judge and Giancarlo Stanton. Both players are power hitters that can change a game in one single pitch. I believe the Yankees will get through the fairly surprising A’s and prepare for the Sox on Friday, October 5.

The Red Sox have defeated all expectations going into the playoffs. I don’t think anybody saw Boston as the team to beat in the same division as the New York Yankees. Alex Cora has done a terrific job of being able to manage his pitcher’s and hitter’s workloads all throughout the season so I am excited to see how he manages his weak bullpen in the playoffs.

If there was one issue the Red Sox team faced this season, it is definitely their bullpen. The Sox have Craig Kimbrel at the back end, but their pitchers leading up to him have been sub par.

In order for the Red Sox to continue their torrid pace, they will need every aspect of their game to come together.

I believe the Boston Red Sox will beat the Yankees and continue on their way to the World Series. Boston doesn’t have the most playoff experience, but their offense is so potent that I don’t think other teams will be able to contain them for a whole playoff series.