LSO News Series: New efforts to greet freshmen underway

Photo by Mrs. Roy
Two LHS students and three LMS students are eager to collaborate.

Freshmen always need encouragement to feel welcome and accepted in their new setting of high school. Freshman Orientation and Step Up Day are two of the major efforts that make freshmen feel excited and less anxious in the next chapter of their lives.

Now, there is a virtual opportunity for these students to be greeted. This past Wed. Oct. 24, pre-production planning for a freshmen video began.

“We’ve never done anything like this before,” Robinson said.

15 students from LMS, alongside their Technology and Media teacher Mrs. Roy, came to the high school and met with Audio Production and Podcasting/Basic Video Production students in Mrs. Robinson’s classes.

Robinson has all grades represented in her classes, from freshman to seniors and she noticed that “there were a lot of different perspectives” in the room.

Photo by Mrs. Robinson
Students exchange ideas for the first time. They will be meeting again in November.

For example, the topic of lockers was brought up in one group that was discussing navigation around the high school. Both Mrs. Robinson and some of her upperclassmen students did not even think about how lockers are not utilized at the high school. The freshmen, however, remembered that they used their lockers in middle school and spoke with the 8th graders about how this will change in high school. Robinson said this was “enlightening.”

These two teachers and their students are hard at work to get the video out by May. The main video will be around two to three minutes in length.

They are also aiming to create several shorter, one minute videos covering subtopics that may not be necessary to include in the main one, but should still be addressed.

The video will be shown at the end of 8th grade and will be put up online through sources such as the Lancer Spirit, Twitter, and many other media outlets so that students can view it whenever they need to.

Robinson and Roy have one common goal for this video for the Class of 2023: to make the transition to high school less intimidating and to address common concerns.