A quick inside look into the winter sports season

The+Lancers+prepare+for+gametime+in+unity+at+the+blue+line.+
Photo by Jill Hansen
The Lancers prepare for gametime in unity at the blue line.

As we prepare for the winter sports season, here is what you need to know about our teams…

• This year’s cheerleading squad, backed by Coach Chelsea, is made up of three seniors, five juniors, and five sophomores. While only a handful of them were a part of the 1st place victory just a season ago, this group is poised for another successful year on the mats.
  • The hockey team is lead by four-time varsity athlete Anthony Federico and his co-captain Cam Donovan. This team is made up of 24 skaters, and unlike prior years there is the same number of seniors as there is freshman (7). This group is young, physical, and looks to have a bright future ahead of them.
  • The girls’ basketball team is made up of six seniors, four juniors, three sophomores and one freshman. Seniors Delaney McGurn and Kaelyn Rourke are going to be joined by their sophomore sisters Kylee and Ashley on this year’s squad.
  • The boys’ basketball team has a young roster, featuring six sophmores with little varsity experience. A main focus for this season revolves around the comeback of senior Ethan Garofolo who was forced to sit out his junior season due to a gruesome leg injury.
  • This year’s girls indoor track team is made up of 30 runners, 13 of which are upperclassmen. This is a fairly new organized team and the focus of their season is to get better for the spring.
  • This year’s boys indoor track team is a diverse roster of 30 athletes from all four classes. Some of these athletes are coming off of a fall sport season, some are preparing for a spring season and some are just looking to stay in shape this winter.
  • The gymnastics team is small unit of 10 girls each striving to complete personal goals as the season progresses while trying to follow up last season’s second place finish at states. Seniors Maddie Croteau and Seana Kelly lead the team in their final season on the mats.
  • The boys’ swim team is made up of 12 athletes, split down the middle between upperclassmen and underclassmen. Led by Coach Ewen, this team is fast and hungry in the water and will look to post solid numbers in the pool this winter.
  • The girls’ swim team is made up of 16 swimmers. There is an underwhelming amount of upperclassmen on their roster (6), but that could entail that this group is going to have a bright future ahead of them moving forward.
  • The wrestling squad was one of the first teams to begin their 18-19 season. Their highly anticipated season falls squarely on the shoulders of their 15 experienced upperclassmen. While each of the boys fall under different weight classes, they are all well trained and determined to succeed on the mats this winter.