Freshman quarterback suits up with varsity team

Freshman Evan Cormier has been practicing with varsity football to gain experience for his future on the team.
Photo by Bryan Murphy
Freshman Evan Cormier joins the varsity huddle during last night’s game against Merrimack. Cormier has been taking snaps with the freshman team but has been suiting up and practicing with the varsity team. Cormier said he is “glad to be given this opportunity [to practice with the varsity team] and to be able to take in the experience.”

It has forever been the philosophy of Londonderry football that freshmen will stay on the freshmen team.

That is until now.

Coach Jimmy Lauzon has called up freshman quarterback Evan Cormier to his varsity team. Cormier has been taking snaps with the freshman football team for this year, but is excited to be practicing with varsity and getting the experience.

“It’s been cool seeing the plays that they run and getting to run some of them,” Cormier said. “Just getting the chance to be part of the team is amazing.”

The starting quarterback has been changing all year since senior starting QB Bobby McEachern went down with a leg injury in the preseason. Currently, junior Jake Stevens and sophomore Ben Johnson have been each getting snaps, and now Cormier may be a new option to this position.

“Coach has been high-fiving him all through practice,” senior offensive tackle Jake Ziegler said.

Coach Lauzon sees a lot potential in the young quarterback and said he shows some varsity skills.

“[Evan] throws a great pass and has great mobility,” Lauzon said. “He has been playing well with the freshman team so far this year.”

Cormier was on the sidelines for the Lancers during the Mack Plaque game against Pinkerton, the game against Portsmouth and last night’s game against Merrimack.

“Mack Plaque was intense, and I really enjoyed the energy during the game,” Cormier said. “It was exciting to be a part of such an intense game.”

It does not appear as though Cormier will see any playing time for the Lancers in his freshman year, however. Coach Lauzon has advocated that Cormier is only practicing with his team.

“We already have Jake Stevens starting, who is playing well for us,” Lauzon said. “With Ben Johnson doing a good job as backup, and Bobby McEachern returning soon, Evan won’t see any playing time.”

While Coach Lauzon sees a lot of potential in the young quarterback, he has confidence in his current QB’s.

“I hopefully never have to start Evan this year,” Lauzon said. “With the QBs we already have, it’s my goal to not have Evan start.”

Lauzon wants Cormier to develop by practicing with his team as well as playing on the freshman team. It would have to take a lot of injuries for Evan to get a start, but Lauzon believes that the young quarterback will have a big impact here in the future.

“Evan is a good QB and will definitely have a great future here at LHS,” Lauzon said.

And as for Cormier, he is perfectly content being where he is.

“I’m just glad to be given this opportunity and to be able to take in the experience,” Cormier said.