Welcome to the world

Art by Phoebe Bartlett.

Hello

And Welcome to the World, 

A place where you can be born into a happy, supporting family or a place that doesn’t feel like home. 

Welcome to the World,

Where you could be praised for scoring the winning goal in soccer or getting a boy pinned in wrestling and thinking he’s cute, but worrying what your family would say. 

Hoping your mom doesn’t find you searching his name in hopes to see him one more time.

Welcome to the World,

Where you always ask your big sister to bring you back to the store where you bought your dress for the school dance, secretly begging to the universe that she doesn’t find out it’s to see the cute cashier girl and starts calling you a freak. 

Welcome to the World,

Where you have to hide the Forever 21 catalogs under the bed, just in case your mom finds them and hits you again, yelling about how you can’t be a girl if you weren’t born one. 

Welcome to the World,

Where it’s common to keep to yourself that you want a chest binder for Christmas and that every time you leave the house in a skirt, you have to change in the bushes, into the clothes you actually feel comfortable in. 

Just because you’re “Daddy’s Little Girl.”

Welcome to the World,

Where loving who you want to love and expressing the person you wanna be is frowned upon. 

Where the boy-crazy girl you remember in grade school loves boys, girls, and everything in between now. 

Where the boy you made fun of in junior high for being gay was kicked out, because his parents didn’t approve of his relationship.

Welcome to the World,

Where, every day, people like them are being tossed out of their homes and into the streets, just because they came out to their parents.

Welcome to the World,

Where people like us have to keep quiet.