Lancer field hockey proves victorious in tiebreaker game versus Astros

The+2020+seniors+gathering+for+a+photo+to+kick+off+the+season+
Courtesy of Jenna Madigan
The 2020 seniors gathering for a photo to kick off the season

Stepping onto the field for her final Mack Plaque faceoff, senior captain Jenna Madigan saw how her and her teammates’ hard work had paid off.  Lancer and Astro field hockey faced off on Monday, September 21, but that game ended in a 2-2 tie. The tiebreaker was played on Wednesday night, ending in the Londonderry 1-0 win, leaving the Mack Plaque score at a solid 3-2 lead.

Last year, the team faced a hard loss to the Astros in the rivalry game but was able to turn their luck around this fall. But, the more important loss to the team was watching those who graduated leave, paving the way for this year’s seniors and newest members. 

“We lost five great seniors last year, but we have 11 great seniors this year,” Madigan said. “I know our team will work amazingly well together this year, I’m not too worried about our season.”

Madigan has lots of ambition for this year’s varsity girls as they’ve overcome the obstacles Covid-19 has thrown their way.

“When we were finally allowed to start practicing together, we had to remain six feet apart,” Madigan said. “Avoiding touching the balls and cones, and couldn’t do drills with any sort of contact. We are very lucky to have a lot less restrictions this fall.”

Senior Jenna Madigan dominating the field during a late-night game  (courtesy of Jenna Madigan )

The team has a very important skill in their back pockets which should help immensely as the season progresses. On the other hand, there are also a few things that the girls will need to put more work into.

“We have a very fast team. All of the girls on varsity this year can run, which is an advantage,” Madigan said. “But, our team overall can work on moving to the ball and stepping in front of our defenders.”

In addition to her goals for the whole team, Madigan is hoping to get the most out of her senior season. 

“My personal goals for this year are to step to the ball whenever I have the chance,” Madigan said. “And to tip the ball into the net whenever I get a ball passed to me when I am on post.”

The girls continue to prepare for what the rest of the falls season has to offer and hope to ride this winning wave all the way to the championship.

“I’m expecting an awesome season with 20 talented people and a great coach,” Madigan said.