Winter Track begins a highly anticipated 2021 campaign

Courtesy of Danny Garrity
Senior Will Plante rounds the turn at last seasons meet.

With uncertainty heading into this season on where meets will happen, the indoor track team is still headed into this season with many goals. Senior Colby Lynch continues to hold hope that the team will be able to do big things this year.

“The team is looking strong this year in every aspect,” Lynch said. “There’s a lot of strong athletes in throwing, jumping, sprinting, and long distance and it’s really great to see.”

Lynch, who is a cross country runner, is one of the many athletes who take part in winter track as way to stay active and get faster for their respective sport.

“I think everyone’s excited for the season because whether people are looking to break records, their own PRs, trying to get noticed by colleges, or even preparing for another sport track season is always a great time to improve,” Lynch said.

From complications still occurring due to COVID-19, it is unclear whether or not colleges will be able to hold meets, but it appears that Phillips Exeter Academy will be the home for meets this year.

“If we do have a chance to compete in meets, Pinkerton will for sure be our toughest competition,” Lynch said. “Track and field is a sport where you can have as many athletes as you want to. When a school has about 100 kids on its team it’s pretty tough to beat.”

With winter track having both running and field events, different schools will excel at certain events. Senior Matt Jasper has been working at the shot put in his time with the team.

“Competition wise for shot put, Pinkerton and Alvirne have some big dudes that throw very far,” Jasper said.

While many use this sport to train, there is still an intent to compete and win against some of the best athletes New Hampshire has to offer.

“My expectations are to get myself better for spring track, and be able to go to the D1 meet as that’s what winter track is mostly about,” Jasper said.

With participants from fall sports such as soccer, cross country, and the state champion football team, the winter track team features many of the top athletes in town and is poised to make a strong run this season.

“All of us have a lot of fun at practice while still working, and I think we’re going to be one of the top teams in the state,” Jasper said.