LHS reinstates its mask optional policy after weeks of a mask mandate

LHS lifts its mask mandate, reinstating the original mask optional policy.
courtesy of Lancer Spirit Staff

LHS has lifted its mask mandate and is once again implementing a “mask-optional” policy. 

Following weeks of meetings, the school board drafted a revised plan to accommodate a mask-optional policy.

In the LHS “Framework for Reopening Adjustments Feb. 2022” shared by Principal Jason Parent through email, the school board emphasized maintaining health precautions to mitigate spread of COVID-19. 

“In consideration of these factors, we will continue practicing all of the mitigation strategies that have been previously implemented, while recommending, rather than requiring, the use of face masks,” Londonderry School Board said. “We will continue to monitor active cases within specific classrooms or student groups which may result in a more restrictive response.”

As a result of this new policy, communication regarding COVID-19 information will be modified as follows:

Confirmed Positive Cases:

1.) If your child has received a positive test result, please report this information directly to your student’s House Office.

2.) The school will issue the student’s return date based on information received.

Household Contacts:

1.) If your child is a confirmed household contact, please report this information directly to your student’s House Office.

3.) DO will clear Household Contacts over the weekend.

Symptomatic while at School:

1.) In school, nurses will evaluate symptoms and work with the family to determine next steps.

Exposure to Positive Cases:

1.) Notification via email of individual exposures will discontinue, but information, potential clusters, and outbreaks will be communicated in specific classrooms.

2.) Daily active case counts will remain on the district dashboard-COVID-19 Info – Londonderry School District

The following protocols were set in place by the school board for those returning to school after testing positive for COVID-19:

Positive Cases Days 6 to 10:

1.) Masking is required during the 6 to 10 day window for those returning (per NH Dept of Public Health).

Household Contacts:

1.) A return to school will be predicated on vaccination status.

2.) If a student is “up-to-date” (per NH DHHS) with their vaccine, he or she may remain in school if they are symptom free.

3.) If a student is not “up-to-date”, or not vaccinated, they must isolate for five days beyond the last day of exposure for the positive household case.

4.) There will be no other stipulations for students returning if they have been cleared based upon being symptom free.

Rapid Negative Home Test:

1.) *The School Nurse will accept negative home tests for symptomatic students.

You can administer an at home rapid antigen test if there have been symptoms at least for 24 to 36 hours for your child. 

2.) Send a picture of the rapid results to the nurse. 

3.) Please write your child’s name and date they took the test on the rapid test itself. 

4.) In an email to the nurse also include the date that symptoms started, the brand of rapid test used, and the expiration date for the rapid test.

Contact Tracing:

Identifying Clusters and Outbreaks:

1.) Clusters and outbreaks will be identified by specific class and will not be traced in larger spaces like the cafeteria and gym.

2.) The identification of clusters and outbreaks at the High School may result in a more restrictive response.

3.) Information from the New Hampshire Department of Health and Safety is fluid. LHS will continue to follow any changing recommendations, guidelines, or updates as appropriate.

At the end of the email sent out to the LHS community, Parent thanked students and staff for their cooperation and positive attitude regarding masking policies. 

“Thank you for your support and patience as we continue to navigate challenging times and carve a positive path forward,” Parent said. “Our students have been fantastic and I’m proud of Lancer Nation for always coming together.”