Boys Volleyball hungry for state championship

The team celebrating (Photo by Connor Koza)

Being undefeated is a feat not many teams have accomplished, but the Boys’ Volleyball team has done it, and hope to carry their momentum into the playoffs. 

This team, led by seniors like Connor Koza and Crosby Nolan, has been on an electric run all season, only losing seven sets all year, one of which coming from Dover, who they play in the first round of the playoffs on June 6.

Carrying the momentum will be key in continuing their winning streak, and Nolan thinks that they can make it back to the finals and do what last year’s team couldn’t.

“I think the momentum will carry over as long as we keep up our energy and stay focused,” Nolan said. “I hope we can make it back to the finals like last year.”

The high school gym has been closed, so they have had to move elsewhere in preparation for Dover.

“We’ve been forced to practice in the middle school gym so it has been a big change of scenery” Nolan said. 

Nolan notices how the team’s chemistry is what sets them apart from the rest of the state. 

“We come together really well compared to other teams whether it’s after we score a huge point or need to rally back from being down,” Nolan said. 

For Koza, he wants to finish the job this year and win the championship.

“The boys are ready to go, this is the hungriest team in the state,” Koza said. “We want redemption for last year’s undefeated team more than anything right now.”

Koza hopes that staying hot in the postseason will put the state on notice.

“When we play Lancer brand high energy volleyball we are unstoppable,” “I want the team to catch fire every game in this playoff run and show the state what we are about.”

Koza mentions how practice has been a huge indicator of the team’s winning ways, and it seems that a new environment won’t shake the team heading into the playoffs.

“Practice has always been a big part of our team’s success,” Koza said. “We practice at a high level day in day out, we will continue to work our hardest to be as ready as possible.”

Koza believes that when the team is on fire and playing together, no one can stop the Lancers.

“Our team is not individualistic, we play strong team volleyball,” Koza said, “When we are at our best we are the rowdiest, most unstoppable team around.”