‘Creed’ a knockout update to a classic story

Fair use image from New Line Cinema

With not too much copied from the original Rocky Balboa series and a more modern approach to the boxing scene, Creed is an enjoyable reboot to the classic series.  

Creed follows the story of Adonis Johnson-Creed (Michael B. Jordan), who never knew his father the great boxing champion Apollo Creed who died before he was born. In fact, Adonis wants nothing to do with his father or his name and goes by his mother’s last name of Johnson. Boxing is in his blood though, so he seeks out the retired champion Rocky Balboa (Sylvester Stallone) to train him to fight for the title against the most deadly opponent in the ring.

Admittedly, Creed copies the same overall story arc as the first movie in the Rocky series. But it does a masterful job of being just different enough to set itself apart, while still being similar enough to give it that classic Rocky feeling. For instance, fans of the original Rocky movies will remember how he trained for his fight against Apollo Creed. Rocky trains Adonis using many of the old methods (such as trying to catch a chicken with your bare hands) along with some new and more standard drills. Even the music is more modern throughout the movie, until the climax of the film where the Rocky theme is finally played, giving it that classic but new feel.

Michael B. Jordan plays the role of Adonis Johnson-Creed perfectly, portraying his problems in a way that allows the audience to relate and understand easily. Sylvester Stallone, while taking more of a back seat in the movie, seems at ease and normal in the role of an old retired guy mentoring a young kid trying to follow in his footsteps.

The only major fault in the movie is part of what makes it good: the almost carbon copy of the story line from the first Rocky movie. While this is disappointing to some, as the outcome of the climax quickly becomes predictable, it also sets up the ability to make a sequel to the movie.

All in all, Creed is terrific update to the Rocky series, bringing a new face and a new generation to the classic story of an underdog boxer trying to become better.

8/10