Spotlight on electives: Build your perfect schedule with these ‘must-have’ classes.

ProgramofStudiesAdThere are more classes beyond the core classes, so know your options. 

When selecting which courses to take next year, you can either close your eyes, click on random pull-down menus on X2 and hope for the best, OR you can create your dream schedule by doing one or more of the following:

• Read through the Program of Studies. Just a quick click on the box to the right will take you directly there.  To see individual class descriptions, click on the “course catalog” tab on the top right of the page.
  • Talk to other students about different classes they’ve taken.
  • Discuss options with teachers and your counselor and get recommendations on which classes would be a good fit for you.
  • Check out the various electives offered at LHS!

Listed below are course descriptions divided by content area and written by teachers for YOU, so you can get a more in-depth look at the variety of electives available for next year.

NOTE: There are MANY other electives offered at LHS.  The classes listed below are those that teachers wanted to highlight for students.

School Publications

Course Name: College Prep Yearbookholidayorderformimage1_2016

Teacher:  Mrs. Diamond

In the Yearbook course, you will be an official member of the Londonderry High School Reflections Yearbook staff and be a part of creating this exciting, historical publication that everyone looks forward to at the end of each school year.

Yearbook class provides you with the opportunity to learn in many areas (photography, graphic design, image editing, writing, online desktop publishing, proofing, print publication process, business) and you will have the chance to pick the areas you want to focus on. You also gain beneficial life skills such as communication, time management, team building, problem solving, and leadership.

Work completed in Yearbook can even be included in portfolios or pointed to as evidence of running the business side of a large organization. Not only does Yearbook fulfill your computer graduation requirement, but also many students have used their yearbook experience on college transcripts and in interviews as proof that they have done “real world” work.

Course Name:  CP Journalism 1

Teacher:  Mrs. DeWinkeleer

• Open to grades 9-12. May be used as a senior English for grade 12, but it is an elective for grades 9, 10 & 11. 
  • This is a full-year class.
  • Class fulfills the .5 credit tech ed requirement.
  • Once you have taken J1, you can apply to be an editor in journalism 2.

When you take Journalism 1 as a class, you are automatically a reporter for the award-winning print and online publication The Lancer Spirit.  

As a reporter you will learn how to interview sources and how to write a variety of articles: news, features, sports, opinion, reviews, etc. You will get a press pass so you can cover school events and write articles that highlight what students and teachers in our school are doing.  

Plus, now that we have both an online AND print version of the publication, you will get the opportunity to publish your work in a variety of mediums.  Throughout the year you’ll do a lot of writing, but you’ll also learn about photography and design as well. 

Please see Mrs. DeWinkeleer or any Lancer Spirit staff member in room 411 with questions. 

Click on other stories on www.lancerspiritonline.com to see what The Lancer Spirit is all about.

NEW CLASS:

Course Name:  Online Multimedia

Teacher:  Mrs. Robinson

NO PRE-REQUISITES NEEDED TO TAKE THIS CLASS.

Open to Grades 9-12   Can be taken as a semester OR a full-year class

Lancer Spirit Online and WLLO-LP, the school district’s FM radio station, need more multimedia content.

More videos. More podcasts. That’s where YOU can come in. 

Do you like filming? Are you obsessed with YouTube or enjoy using iMovie on your phone? Do you listen to podcasts and think it would be fun to produce your own?  If you answered “yes” to any of those questions, then this class is for YOU.

In this course students will learn the skills necessary to produce multimedia content which will be featured on WLLO-LP, the school district’s FM radio station, and Lancer Spirit Online, the award-winning student news site of Londonderry High School.

Multimedia students will work with Podcasting students to create programming for FM broadcast and online. Live interviews and music shows will also be featured.

Multimedia students will be part of WLLO-LP and LSO staff with press credentials for event coverage.

Students will learn interviewing techniques and pre-production planning required to craft quality stories. They will shoot, edit, export and upload video from a variety of sources including mobile devices.

Recording, editing and uploading digital audio interviews and podcasts will also be taught to be featured on WLLO-LP.

Multimedia students will collaborate with the Journalism teacher, student reporters and individual editors to enhance articles through accompanying media. Specific content may include video highlights of events, “man-on-the-street” interviews, discussions of student views on current topics, and interviews with teachers, students, staff and other community members.

Business & Computers

Course Name:  Accounting I

Teacher: Mrs. Young

In Accounting 1 students learn the accounting cycle from the analysis and recording of business transactions to the preparation of financial statements.

Mrs. Young talks about her Accounting 1 class in the podcast produced by Mrs. Robinson’s Audio Production and Podcasting class.

Course Name:  Introduction to Programming I

Teacher:     Mrs. Provenzano

Computers are everywhere and computers run using software.  Programming creates that software.  In this course you will develop problem solving and critical thinking skills that are necessary for any career, but especially in engineering, math, and the sciences.  The courses are project bases, so few lectures and lots of computer time

creating application, games, and graphics.

Course Name: Desktop Publishing

Teacher:  Mrs. Diamond

If you want to learn how to create exiting visuals using computers or advance your current creative skills to a new level, then Desktop Publishing is the course for you! This class teaches Adobe InDesign and Photoshop CC (Creative Cloud) which are essential for success in many graphics fields.

Graphic artists and digital publishers choose Adobe applications as the foundational software necessary to bring all page elements together—type and traditional and digital artwork.

Learn basic principles of typography, graphics, and layouts needed to create effective and pleasing advertisements, brochures, newsletters, greeting cards, posters, business cards, letterhead, invitations, menus, programs, calendars and more!

Course Name:  Web Development/Design I & II

Teacher:  Mrs. Diamond

Are you intrigued by how all that stuff got on the Web and want to create your own site? There is a lot that goes on behind the scenes of a Web site. The basic stuff behind all web sites is HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) and CSS (Cascading Style Sheets).

In Web classes you learn skills in these areas as well as producing graphics with Adobe Photoshop CC and web authoring with Adobe Dreamweaver CC. At the end of each course, you have the opportunity to build your own web site.

Course Name:  Animation for the Web

Teacher:  Mrs. Diamond

Become a computer animator! Learn how you can use Adobe Animate CC to create a variety of animated content such as cartoons, advertisements, games, and other interactive content.

Creating characters with drawing tools, tweening, morphing, adding motion paths, setting up timelines, and creating story scenes are just some of the topics covered in this class. All projects are hands-on in the computer lab. Sign up and bring your creative ideas to life with animation!

Course Name:  Computer Hardware and Repair I

Teacher:     Mrs. Provenzano & Mr. Sampson

Enjoy tinkering with computers and seeing how they work?  In this course you will learn all the ins and outs of a computer’s hardware and operating system.

Online learning plus hands on labs will teach you how to build a computer as well as develop problem solving skills and teamwork while troubleshooting common computer problems.

This course also offers college credit through the Running Start program.

Course Name: Introduction to Business

Teacher: Mr. Greene

If you can’t throw a football like Tom Brady then you’ll probably be entering the business world someday (AKA getting a job.)

Not sure what you want to do for a living yet?  If business is “on the radar” then this class just may be for you.  Want more information?  Stop by room 360 and see Mr. Greene. (AKA the school store guy.)

Course Name: Financial PlanningCommunications-2

Teacher: Mr. Greene

You’ll learn how to manage your finances so you won’t have to move back in with mom and dad AFTER you graduate from college!

This course is now a Running Start course.  Yes, now you can learn some great money management skills and receive college credit at the same time.

Course Name: Business Management

Teacher: Mr. Greene

Do you consider yourself a leader? Want to become a leader? Then this course is for you. Business Management introduces and develops skills necessary for effective leadership. Topics include key traits of strong leaders and motivation of others. You can even earn college credit upon successful completion of the course.

MarketingCourse Name: Marketing

Teacher: Mr. Greene

This class is designed for students who may be interested in a career in sales or marketing. There are lots of hands on projects where you will get the chance to work with your friends and make your own television commercials. You can even earn college credit at the completion of the course!

Course Name:  Technology Sampler

Teacher:  Mrs. Diamond

Not sure which computer course to enroll in? Discover your technology interests by taking the Technology Sampler class to “sample” a variety of topics such as web design, programming, micro-controllers, photo editing, and overall general basics of hardware & software.

English

NOTE: AP English classes are FULL-YEAR classes

Advanced Placement

Students in these courses are strongly encouraged to participate in the Advanced Placement examination administered by the College Board in May.

Course Name: AP English Language and Composition

Teacher: Mrs. Giguere

This course focuses on college level work and teaches you to deconstruct arguments and rhetorical strategies in mostly non-fiction works.  You will learn to maximize your argument and/or effectiveness across different forms; you can expect a wide variety of writing.  In short, you will read a range of materials and focus on making your writing effective and clear.  The skills you learn in this class are broadly applicable to not only the humanities, but the social sciences as well.

Course Name: AP English Literature

Teacher: Mrs. Wooding

This reading intensive course focuses on college level work and teaches you to read and analyze works of literature with different lenses.  You will work to discover a work’s theme or intent, as opposed to analyzing its argument or effectiveness.  Your essays for class will be mainly analytical and you will be expected to use literary devices as evidence.

Course Name:  CP Journalism 1

Teacher:  Mrs. DeWinkeleer

• Open to grades 9-12. May be used as a senior English for grade 12, but it is an elective for grades 9, 10 & 11
  • This is a full-year class.

NOTE: ALL English electives (except for AP Lit, AP Lang and journalism 1) are SEMESTER classes, so seniors will need to select TWO of the following classes.

The following Dual Enrollment college courses are offered for college and high school credit through SNHU and LHS for a fee.  All courses are aligned with SNHU requirements.

Course Name: CP Public Speaking 

Teachers: Ms. Powers and Mr. Sicard

“Most importantly, I overcame my biggest fear and proved to myself that I could do something that I once thought was impossible.” – Julia K.

​Approximately 75% of the population suffers from speech anxiety, the fear of public speaking. You are not alone! Come develop the tools and skills that you need to overcome this fear and become a better, more confident, and effective speaker. This is THE class that every student should take before leaving high school!​

Course Name: Honors College Composition

Teacher: Mrs. Kilgore-Prugh

This course focuses on instruction, practice, and mastery of various analytical writing styles used in and expected of college level coursework.  Narration, exposition, literary analysis, the position paper, the proposal, and other styles of writing will be addressed.

Course Name: Honors Creative Writing

Teacher: Mrs. Shank

“For me, receiving an assignment with no guidelines that simply said “write,” was terrifying. I was used to strict instructions and harsh guidelines when it came to writing…the lack of rules has become my favorite thing about creative writing. I have been able to write freely, out of my comfort zone, and with no restrictions.”  (H.H.)

“I was finally able to release the part of me that would rather live in a fantasy-thank you for that opportunity…I absolutely loved the freedom we were given to expand our individual imaginations. It taught me how to listen to my own ideas for stories…this course was really just a great outlet for stories I had had in my head since I first started attending the school.” (S.M.)

Do you want an amazing opportunity to finally write freely the stories you have always wanted to tell?  HCW will give you that and more! This class exposes students to the craft of creative writing as well as in-depth personal revision. We move at a great pace, with lots of freedom, but still fulfilling the high expectations of an honors course.

Course Name: CP Writing Workshop

Teacher: English teachers may vary

This course is designed for students who desire to express their ideas and feelings creatively and analytically through disciplined writing.  Emphasis will be placed on developing previously learned skills.  Students will improve their writing through peer conferencing, editing, and student/teacher evaluation.

Course Name: Honors Writing Workshop

Teacher: English teachers may vary

This course is designed for students already proficient in writing who wish to extend their proficiency through advanced styles of creative and analytical writing. They will improve their writing skills through peer conferencing, editing, and self-evaluation.  Recommendation of current instructor is required.

Course Name: Dramatic Literature

Teacher: English teachers may vary

This course concentrates on reading, discussing, and the analysis of dramatic works from ancient times to the present, including comedies, social dramas, and satires.

Course Name: Classic Film 

Teacher: Mr. Brand

Prerequisite needed? Open to seniors

In this course, you will watch movies and write about relevant themes. It’s an English class for kids that don’t like to read, or students that love movies.

Course Name: Science Fiction Experience

Teacher: English teachers may vary

This course is designed to stimulate the imagination through reading, writing, and investigation of science-fiction phenomena.

Course Name: CP Women in Literature

Teacher: Mrs. Shank

“I really enjoyed starting my day off with this class. I was able to learn a lot about literature, and it was a small class so I was able to get to know everyone. I loved how we could be honest and open with each other and then bond over common experiences. My eyes were opened to the fact that we all have stories to share, burdens to bear, and advice to give. We honestly had a blast! (B.N.)

“Take this class!  It’s nice to talk about real-life situations and connect with girls you wouldn’t normally befriend. I learned a lot about myself and life in general. Trust me-you won’t regret it.”(O.S.)

Have you wanted an opportunity to connect with other ladies on a different level? Do you have an interest in current events? Want to engage in round table discussion about literature that you can relate to?  Try this course out…the atmosphere and curriculum is unique and one that will leave a lasting impression.

Course Name: CP Contemporary Literature

Teacher: Mrs. Kilgore-Prugh

This course selects material used to enhance student appreciation of the post-WWII human condition.  There is a focus on timeless conflicts and issues we face today.  Assignments help students improve their critical and analytical skills.  Verbal and written expression receive emphasis, as does vocabulary development.

Course Name: CP Media Literacy and the Digital Age

Teacher: Ms. Murphy

Students develop media literacy skills through discussions, projects, and critical thinking to understand the motivation behind the messages constructed by media. The focus will be on how these messages impact the way we communicate, interpret the world around us, and what puts our privacy at risk in today’s digital age.

Course Name: CP World Literature

Teacher: Mrs. Kilgore-Prugh

This course is designed for students who wish to broaden their reading experiences with selections from European, Greek, African, Latin American, Icelandic, and East Asian authors.

Course Name: CP Science Fiction 

Teacher: English teachers may vary

Spaceships, swords, enchanters, the far future, the imagined past-literature of discovery.  We will explore dimensions of “speculative fiction” examining how its authors have confronted timeless questions from unique perspectives. ​

Course Name: CP Sophomore Humanities

Teacher: Mrs. McCabe and Mrs. Prough

Sophomore Humanities– an alternative for sophomores that blends your U.S. History and English requirements together in one project-based class.

If you enjoy discussion, art, music, drama, and group projects this is the class for you.

IMG_1726 (2)

Note: this class qualifies as a general elective only.

Course Name: Sports Journalism

Teacher: Mr. Brand

Prerequisite needed? Open to seniors and select juniors. 

Discuss current sports stories, read Eight Men Out and Friday Night Lights, create podcasts  and your own sports talk show to end the course.

Female students welcome!

If you hate sports and hate to read & write, this might not be the best class for you…

Family and Consumer Sciences

Teacher Name: Mrs. Harmon

2Housing and Design – We look at housing designs, construction of houses, furniture history, styles of design, Line, Color all applied to interior design.

Human Relations – A class that’s all about you and how to develop healthy relationships. We talk about personalities, effective communication, decision making, Leadership, friendships, dating, love, marriage, stress, anger, and suicide.

1Independent Living and Money Management – To help prepare students to live independently. Topics include consumerism, banking, decision making, money management, banking, loans, buying and financing a car, credit, loans, renting, leasing, cooking skills, food safety, and laundry.

Teacher Name: Mrs. Gonyea

Introduction to Foods–  Introductory course for all students covering basic food preparation and baking.  Major emphasis is given to lab experience as well as cooking demonstrations.  If you like to cook or if you are looking to gain valuable experience while having fun, this is the class for you!

Foods II-  This class is designed for those students interested in a more in depth study of food with a major emphasis on lab experience.  Some topics covered include advanced food preparation, baking pastries, breads, pizza, cakes, cream puffs, cinnamon buns and more. We will also make an assortment of International and Regional foods.

Design in Clothing-  This class will focus on basic sewing skills and construction techniques.  Major emphasis is given to clothing construction, quilting and individual projects.  You will learn skills that will last a life time.  Interested in a career in fashion or interior design, then this is for you.

Clothing Construction- This class is for students who want to fine tune skills learned in Design in Clothing. Emphasis is given to selecting  appropriate fabrics  and patterns while constructing quality garments, quilts and individual projects.  You will also  learn about fiber identification, fabric construction and careers in fashion.  This is a hands on course offering valuable experience.

Parenting and Children-  This class is designed to help students learn about child development from birth to age six.  We will also examine the responsibilities, rewards and challenges of working with children and providing for their care.  We will work with children at Moosehill School and plan festivities for our annual Fun Fest

Interested in a career in teaching or working with children?  You may take this class for college credit through our dual enrollment program with SNHU.

Math

Course Name: Probability and Statistics A Level 

Teacher Name: Mrs. Thomas

Did you know that every college major requires you to take a Statistics class even if your major is a non-math major? Get a head start before you go to college and take Probability and Statistics A.

Topics reviewed in this course include but are not limited to: standard deviation, confidence intervals, normal distributions, and various types of probability. The computer program Minitab will also be used in this course to help prep you for future college statistics courses.

This class is a great fit for all who have passed Algebra 2A and Geometry A. There are many students who take this course concurrent with Pre-Calculus or Calculus.

Course Name: Probability and Statistics B Level 

Teacher Name: Ms. DeArville

Teacher Name: Ms. DeArville

Ms. DeArville said her new favorite math class to teach is PROBABILITY AND STATISTICS B level – At the perfect pace for those who might struggle with math comes Probability and Statistics B level.  You will learn about Standard Deviation, Confidence Intervals, Normal Distributions as well as Probability topics including permutations and combinations as well as other topics.

New topics, classwork, discussion and some homework (yes, you will have homework!) this class is a great fit for all who have passed Algebra 2B and Geometry B!   Many colleges and majors need a statistics course, even if your major is a non-math major.  There are statistics courses for Psychology and other liberal arts… Come learn the basics with us!

If you have done well in math and completed Algebra 2A and Geometry A, then sign up for Probability and Statistics A level and continue learning at the right pace for you!

Course Name: Trigonometry (B level) 

Teacher Name: Ms. DeArville

Trigonometry is a great class for all who have passed

Algebra 2B and Geometry B!  (If you passed Algebra 2A and Geometry A – you will be able to see Trigonometry concepts when you take Pre-Calculus.)

My favorite lesson in Trigonometry is when we go outside and measure the angle of elevation to the top of the flagpole and then find the height of the flagpole using a simple equation.  It is great to see how it is used in the real world.  Many careers use Trigonometry including Criminology, Architecture, Construction, Game Development, Surveying, Aviation and even Music Theory and Production!

Course Name: Finite Math (Senior A Level)

Teacher Name: Mrs. Bound

This course will deal with various advanced mathematics topics and their connections to real life modeling problems and business applications. Topics will include linear equations, matrices, linear programming, graphing and simplex method, finance, sets and counting, and logic.

Students can borrow/purchase a graphing calculator and will learn the essential functions to complete problems.

This course is good for students going to school for a non-math related major but still interested in the real life applications of what math means to them.  You will be graded on homework, classwork, quizzes, tests, projects, and group work.

This is a one semester course for students coming from either Geometry A or CP Precal A and not interested in taking Calculus.

Course Name: AP Statistics 

Teacher Name: Mrs. Brennan

Interested in mathematics, engineering, business, biological sciences, or the social sciences? Or just want to know how to get better use out of your graphing calculator!? Then consider enrolling in AP Statistics! The purpose of AP Statistics is to introduce students to the major concepts and tools for collecting, analyzing, and drawing conclusions from data. This will be accomplished through the following major units of study: I Exploring Data; II. Sampling and Experimentation; III. Anticipating Patterns; and IV. Statistical Inference.

Phys. Ed./Health

Phys Ed.Course Name:  Interactive Physical Education

Teacher: Ms. MacLean

This is a physical education class which is an elective and is taken to help those students that have physical or emotional issues that get in the way of them being successful in a regular PE class.  These students work in a 1:1 environment which leads to a greater success. This is a great class for future teachers, science, or anyone working with kids.

Course Name:  Contemporary Issues in Health

Teacher: Mrs. Lafore

Interested in a future profession in the Health field? This class may be the perfect elective for you! Come join the Contemporary Issue in Health class. This course is designed to allow students to investigate a variety of health issues related to lifestyle choices and behaviors. Using class discussions and independent research students will examine several aspects of current health topics and trends and have an opportunity to develop and defend their own individual philosophies on these topics.

Course Name:  Healthy Lifestyles

Teacher: Mrs. Lafore

Need an elective? Looking for a class that is all about you?? Come join the Healthy Lifestyles Class. A class where you get to focus on yourself!! Explore topics of Nutrition, Fitness, Body Image, Stress Management and Positive Relationships through many guest speakers, field trips and fun classroom experiences. This class is open to all students who have passed Health or Wellness, PE1, and Sophomore PE Elective.

Some Quotes from students:

• “I really enjoyed the set up of this class and how each day covered a different topic.”
  • “It gives you a new outlook on yourself and the people you surround yourself with. It helps you maintain positive and remain stress free.”

Science

Course Name: Advanced Placement Environmental Science 

Teacher: Mr. Grant

What is biodiversity and does it matter? How does the Earth change over hundreds of millions of years?  How has evolution played a role in shaping today’s biosphere? Are humans changing the global climate on Earth? How have humans affected the Earth? The goal of the AP Environmental Science course is to provide students with the knowledge to answer these questions and many more.

During the course scientific principles, concepts, and methodologies required to understand the interrelationships of the natural world are investigated.  Students will be able to identify and analyze environmental problems both natural and human-made, to evaluate the relative risks associated with these problems, and to examine alternative solutions for resolving or preventing them.

Environmental science is interdisciplinary; it embraces a wide variety of topics from different areas of study. The AP Environmental Science course is designed to be the equivalent of a one-semester, introductory college course in environmental science. This course has been developed to enable students to undertake, as first-year college students, a more advanced study of topics in environmental science or, alternatively, to fulfill a basic requirement for a laboratory science and thus free time for taking other courses.

Students take several trips throughout the year including visits to the New England Aquarium and a field-study of Mt. Kearsarge.

This course is offered concurrently for high school credit and college credit through Manchester Community College.

For more information on these classes, click here to view a slide presentation.

Course Name: Microbiology/Biomedical Science and Technology

NAME CHANGE ALERT: Previously named Biotechnology (Honors or CP A option available)

Teacher: Mrs. Lawson

Grade 11-12

A note about Biomedical Science and Technology :

Students definitely entering human or animal medically related fields, several engineering fields, computer programming, etc. should consider taking these courses.  They are both college option courses and the 2 period class provides college credits for a college sophomore level microbiology course which is definitely a requirement in any medical field including bioengineering.

Course Description:

The biotechnology industry has exploded on both the local and national scale creating an expanding need for a trained workforce. Biotechnology is applied biology; it allows us to use organisms to make useful products. Traditional biotechnology products include foods such as cheese and bread. Some examples of modern biotechnology products include medicines produced in microbes, gene therapies to treat illnesses, crops that are modified to be more productive or nutritious, and organisms that can degrade environmental contaminants. Hands-on exposure to tools and protocols used in the field of biotechnology (including medical microbiology) will occur throughout the year. Therapeutic pharmaceutical manufacturing, medical diagnostic testing, forensics, agriculture, good manufacturing procedures, bioinformatics, and bioethics are just a few of the topics that will be investigated through the use of microorganisms and plants.

Students will have the option of taking this course for honors or college preparatory level A credit.

NCAA Approved.

Prerequisites:

CP Biology A or B, Honors Biology, or CP Biology A with Biomedical Science and Technology (formerly known as Biology Through Biotechnology)

Course Notes:

**Note: Double period.

Because 4 credits for a sophomore college level microbiology course are available, this course is recommended for students interested in pursuing a career in the medical or bioengineering/biomedical field.

Students have the opportunity to agree to an Honors Biotechnology contract.

Course Name: CP Biology A with Biomedical Science and Technology

NAME CHANGE ALERT: Previously named Biology through Biotechnology

Teacher: Mrs. Lawson

Grade 10

Course Description:

BiologyA with Biomedical Science and Technology is a tenth grade laboratory course designed to provide students with an intensive investigative approach to biological concepts. Through various hands-on activities (including extensive laboratory experiments) students will study a multitude of topics including, but not limited to, molecular biology, cellular biology, microbiology, genetics, immunology, evolution and ethical issues. These topics will be explored within the context of biotechnology, communicable disease and ecology. Through the use of research investigations, students will begin to develop laboratory skills and techniques that are valued in modern scientific communities. NCAA approved. ***College Preparatory A level course*** ***4 credit Southern New Hampshire University biology course***

Prerequisite: CP Freshman Science

Course Notes:
*Fulfills state requirements for biology

THIS COURSE IS OFFERED CONCURRENTLY FOR COLLEGE AND HIGH SCHOOL CREDIT THROUGH SNHU AND LONDONDERRY HIGH SCHOOL.

beakerCourse Name: Advanced Topics in Chemistry

Teacher: Mrs. Nazro

Thinking of becoming a Doctor?  Dentist?  Physician’s Assistant?  Biochemist?  Engineer?  Pharmacist?  Dietitian?

Advanced Topics will give you that extra advantage that no one would have:  Exposure to Organic Chemistry.

It is known that Organic Chemistry is the number ONE most often flunked course in college.  It is also THE course that Medical Schools, Dental Schools and Pharmaceutical Schools look at to determine if you have what it takes to continue on in these fields.  Research the colleges you are interested in and find out what courses you would have to take if you go there. 

If Organic Chemistry is one of the required courses, then you really should sign up for Advanced Topics.  It will help you achieve your goals and it will make a huge difference in how well you perform taking College Chemistry and Organic Chemistry.

Advanced Topics in Chemistry is an Honors Class.

Course Requirements:

*Honor Chemistry (SPAM) Grade no lower than a C

*CP Chemistry-A Grade no lower than a B

conorMaddieCourse Name: CP Forensic Science

Teacher: Mrs. Simpson

This is a one semester elective offered to sophomores, juniors and seniors.  This is a lab centered class that covers many topics in forensic science. Topics include evidence and crime scenes,  fingerprints, bite-marks, time of death, forensic entomology, blood spatter analysis, and forensic anthropology to name a few.

It’s fun, fast paced and hands on.

Course Name: Anatomy and Physiology

Teacher: Mr. Burgess

The Anatomy & Physiology class at LHS has become a very good class at preparing students for College Level Anatomy & Physiology. It is an excellent class for students interested in pursuing a career in the Medical field. Students who are interested in nursing, or becoming a doctor, surgeon, Physician’s Assistant, Physical Therapist, Occupational Therapist, Psychologist or Psychiatrist, or a Veterinarian or similar careers typically take Anatomy & Physiology in college and beyond.

Since this class has a lot of memorization to it, taking the class for a second time in college usually results in a higher grade. Many of our past students have found Anatomy much easier in college than here at LHS. Even some students who weren’t very successful here have earned A’s in college.

skeleton1

We cover Human Anatomy and Physiology and cover the entire college text book in the Honors and A level and Most of the book in the B level. The class covers the topics at a College pace for the Honors and A level. The students are required to complete dissections. There has been a lot of research recently on the benefit of actual dissections for learning anatomy over other ways of learning anatomy. The students will dissect a cat and various organs.

Levels Offered
There are currently 3 levels of Anatomy & Physiology offered at LHS: Honors, A and B.

The Honors and A level can be taken as a Project Running Start class and earn College credit. However, the student will usually have to take Anatomy & Physiology in college but often can receive credit for an elective or introductory Biology class.

Honors: This level is for students who have done very well in Biology or Honors Biology and Chemistry. Test questions are harder, more thinking type and open ended questions, and there is more work expected for labs and other work. It requires a lot of time for proper learning of the material for the assessments.

A Level: This level is for students who have been successful in Biology, Honors Biology and Chemistry. It is a good fit for students who have a lot of time commitments in other Honors or AP classes, work and athletics and other hobbies. It still requires a lot of time for proper preparation for assessments.

B level: This level is for students who have been successful at the B level of Biology and Chemistry. It covers most of the same topics as the A level but at a slower pace and easier testing. It still requires a lot of time for proper preparation for tests.

Social Studies

NEW CLASS:

Class name: Multicultural History

Teacher name: Vera Prough

Prerequisite needed? None

Curious about other cultures here in America and their history? Want to know more about the experiences and traditions of Native Americans, Asian Americans, Latinos, African Americans and women? This course is designed to teach you more about these groups and encourage you to explore other groups that may interest you. Discussion​s and projects will be a big part of this course as we explore common experiences that make us Americans.

​This course is offered at the College Prep and Honors Level.

IMG_1729(2)Course Name: CP Sophomore Humanities

Teacher : Mrs. McCabe and Mrs. Prough

Course Name: AP comparative Government and Politics 

Teacher: Mrs. GibsonGlobe.png

This is slightly different from other AP courses in that the curriculum is a bit more fluid and both global and contemporary.  The countries covered will be Britain, the US, Mexico, Nigeria, the Russian Federation, Iran and China.  Additionally, some time will be devoted to the EU.

As with other AP courses, requirements will be rigorous and preparation to take the AP exam in May will be first and foremost.

Course Name:  AP Psychology

Teacher: Ms.  Gagnon

AP Psychology is a challenging course that is equivalent to a college course and can possibly earn students a college credit by scoring well on the AP Exam in May. It is a course designed “to introduce students to the systematic and scientific study of behavior and mental processes of human beings  and other animals. Students are exposed to the psychological facts, DSC_0464principles, and phenomena associated with each of the major sub fields within psychology.

They also learn about the ethics and methods psychologists use in their science and practice” (Advanced Placement Course Description in Psychology). Solid reading and writing skills, along with a willingness to devote considerable time to homework and study, are necessary to succeed. The course incorporates hands-on activities in all units where applicable.

Course Name:  CP Psychology

Teacher: Ms.  Gagnon

Want to learn a bit about why you and your friends do the things they do?  CP Psychology just might be for you!  This course is designed as an introduction to study the social and biological explanations for human behavior.

Areas of study covered include the biological basis of behavior, states of consciousness, sensation and perception, lifespan development, stress and health, learning and memory, personality, and psychological disorders.

The course will be based on class discussions, various selected readings, individual and group projects, and many in class activities.

Course Name: AP US HistoryUS

Teacher: Mrs. Wakelin

This course covers United States History from pre-Columbian times and European contact to present day.  It is a fast paced, intense study of the political, economic, social, and military changes of the American landscape.  There is heavy emphasis on reading, analyzing, and discussing primary and secondary sources in preparation for the AP Exam. 

Course Name: AP Government

Teacher: Mr. Miller, Mrs. Prough

Like politics? What an in depth understanding about how our Federal Government really works? AP Gov is a full year course that explores Campaigns & Elections, the Media, Political Parties, Interest Groups, Civil Liberties, as  well as the powers of Congress, Federal Courts & the Presidency. This class will also examine the current political events that are driving the daily news cycle. AP Gov is a dynamic & rigorous course & is geared for academically minded students interested in American politics.

Students taking AP Government are not required to take Civics.  

Course Name: AP European History

Teacher: Mr. Willis

Prerequisite: Recommendation of current instructor

This course is a survey of European history from 1350 to the present, including the Renaissance, Age of Reason, Napoleonic era, World Wars 1 and 2, and contemporary trends. Elements of political, economic, and cultural development are covered using a variety of media and approaches. The course is designed to provide a fast-paced and intensive experience in reading, writing, and research skills. NCAA approved.

Course Name: Philosophy

Teacher: Mr. Miller

You’ve heard of the World’s Greatest Philosophers – Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Rousseau, Descartes, Kierkegaard, Nietzsche…

What did they say about the Big Questions we have about our lives? What are we Supposed to do Here? How can I achieve the “Good Life”? What is Happiness? Sign up for Philosophy & discover what they said!

The class includes lectures & lively discussions as well as yoga every other Friday.

Philosophy is offered as a College Prep Course & also as an Honors Level Course.    

DSCN2471Course Name: World at War

Students were given a packet of catapult designs, and worked together to recreate these designs using specific materials, such as popsicle sticks and rubber bands.

Teacher: Mr. Courtemanche

The course is an in depth study of World War One and Two.  The class is very interactive with a lot of debates and discussions.  Students will learn all about the causes of both wars, the major figures during the conflicts, and the battles that took place.  There is even an outdoor mock battle. 

You can take the course as either honors or college prep.

NOTE: We also play with lots of puppies every day and Tom Brady visits class most Fridays.

Course Name: Current Issues 

Current Issues

Teacher: Ms. Tallo

In this class students get to discuss and learn about the major topics of the day such as gun control, abortion, human trafficking, the death penalty, etc…..

Students will also have an opportunity to discuss any issues that are currently being talked about by the media that they are interested in.

PoliceCourse Name: Law Studies

This class is a semester long, is offered both first and second semesters to juniors and seniors.  Occasionally I will allow a sophomore to take the class, but it is at my discretion.

It not only gives the students some practical knowledge of the Law, covering a variety of Law and Law enforcement fields, but helps students understand far more about #collegeandcareerready in many different areas.  

Guest speakers are a highlight of the class and movies supplement many of the discussion topics. Practical knowledge of your rights and how to protect them are covered even if you aren’t interested in pursuing this field. Join us!

Teaching (FEA)

Little LancerCourse Name: CP Practicing the Art of Teaching/

CP Exploring the Art of Teaching (FEA)

Teacher: Mr. Smith

So you think you have what it takes to teach? These two courses open to juniors and seniors promises an extensive exploration of the teaching profession.  You will have the opportunity to complete various career activities, including classroom observations, and create your own classroom lessons!  

In addition to learning the ins and outs of education, you will have the chance for valuable hands-on experience by teaching your own lesson to a group of actual students and by creating activities and games for Little Lancer Day!

Technology Education

Course Name: Digital Media Production

Teacher Name: Karen Robinson

NO PREREQUISITES. Open to Juniors/Seniors only. Formerly a double period, NOW A SINGLE PERIOD. Student work shown on class YouTube channel. 

What will you do? Students make short films, enter contests, produce music videos, spoof commercials, mentor 5th graders recording their newscasts, create a variety of other single and multi-camera productions, and learn how to shoot, edit and upload from your phone. By the end of the year you’ll have an online portfolio and a LinkedIn profile.

Graduates of the program have gone on to many different colleges majoring in Video, Film, Audio and Journalism.

Below is a compilation of clips from previous Media Production students’ work.

Course Name: Audio Production and Podcasting (previously Radio Broadcasting and Production)

Teacher: Karen Robinson

Grades 9-12 ~ Podcasts will be heard on WLLO-LP, 102.9 FM and on lancerspiritonline.com.

What will you learn? Sound recording, audio editing, interviewing, scriptwriting and how to speak on-air. What kind of podcasts can you make? Well, what are you interested in? Music shows, film, TV, music or game reviews, sports talk, “Morning-style” talk shows, commentary on current topics, sports announcing, Lancer Nation news, or something else. Oh, and also you’ll create sound effects, record man-on-the-street interviews, and find out about some unique careers like voice acting. And what voice actor plays Bart Simpson (spoiler alert, not who you’d think).

Course Name: Metals

Teacher: Mr. DeCloux

OPEN to grades 9 – 12.

Fulfills MATH experience requirement.

Enjoy FOUR semesters of ADVANCED METALS. Exploring Metals, Metals Tech, Advanced Metals

Come on down and make some beautiful, useful HANDS-ON projects in this fun, collaborative, interesting and unique class.  ​

Create and Design your own projects from ROSES, RINGS and other jewelry to large complex projects like FIRE PITS, CAR AND TRUCK PARTS, and everything in-between!  DESIGN, CREATE and LEARN.

JOBS and SKILLS in Robotics, manufacturing, welding, machining, aluminum casting, sheet metal come in handy.

Course Name: WoodworkingPicture2

Teacher: Mr. CiccarelloPicture5

There are many woodworking courses offered at LHS. Woodworking is not just for the student that wants to do this for a living but also for students who are looking for an enjoyable class where they can make some awesome projects while learning valuable skills.

The atmosphere is relaxed and students can work at their own pace with plenty of one on one teacher assistance. Many classes are designed for students with little or no woodworking experience. There is even an advanced level class that will challenge those experienced students to new heights!

Courses Offered: Exploring Woodworking Skills, Woodworking Technology, Advanced Woodworking Tech., Woodworking with Hand Tools, Entrepreneurial Woodworking.

Course Name: Entrepreneurial Woodworking

Teacher: Mr. Ciccarello

This class is designed for the student that may want to own their own business someday (does not have to be a woodworking business!). The class will be set up as a company (Lancer Custom Woodworking). Students will take orders for some custom woodworking from real customers. Students will then create sketches, bill of material and finally a written estimate that they will present to the customer.

Students will then build the product and present it to the customer. This is a great, fun way to experience what it is like to have your own business. Mr. Ciccarello has his own business and will share many real life experiences to students as they move through the course.

Prerequisite: You must have taken at least one of the following woodworking classes to take this course:

• Exploring Woodworking Skills
  • Woodworking Tech.
  • Advanced Woodworking
  • Open to grades 10-12

Mr. Ciccarello talks about his Entrepreneurial Woodworking class in the podcast produced by Mrs. Robinson’s Audio Production and Podcasting class.

computer 

From the Tech Desk:

Some helpful hints about logging on to X2 

• Please remember to use ALL lower case letters when entering your User Name.

• Enter the same exact User Name and Password that you currently use to log onto a school computer.

• If you need assistance, please see Mrs. Hutchins, Tech Assistant, in Lab 218. 

• If your parents need assistance with their User Name and Password, please have them contact Abbey Sloper, Assistant Principal, House 1 at X2118.