Unified basketball plays less for the glory, more for the ‘passion for the sport’

Photo by Ms. Sullivan
Unified basketball celebrates after beating Nashua South 58-54 during their 2016 season. This game solidified their undefeated season.

The unsung hero of the basketball court this year was the unified basketball team, whose record went unblemished throughout the entire regular season. Out of the whopping 41 division one teams competing, Londonderry came first overall with a record of 7-0.

“Being undefeated this season was a very good accomplishment for us,” junior player Gio Cafaro said. “Regardless of how our season ended, I am very proud of all of the players.”

The three-month-long season came to an end on Thursday, March 3, when the team faced Hollis Brookline during their playoff game. They had faced Hollis Brookline earlier in the season and won 31-27; however, this time the Cavaliers brought their A-game, and ended up beating the Lancers 36-32.

“The game was very competitive, and it was tied at the end of the third quarter,” senior player Elijah Ellis said. “The score could have gone either way, but at the end Hollis Brookline came through.”

Despite not making further in the playoffs, coach Ann Maclean has no regrets and only the highest praise for her team.

“What led to our success was that the players really enjoyed themselves,” Maclean said. “Because they had a passion for the sport of basketball, they tried very hard and worked hard at practice to improve their skills.  They enjoyed working together as a team and became friends on and off the court.”

Maclean enjoys seeing how the team has helped the players grow. Every year she chooses to coach and can see the athlete’s passion for the game.

“What makes me coach this team is their desire to do well, improve, and to be part of Londonderry High School climate,” Maclean said. “I love their intensity, their enthusiasm, their “team” attitude…watching the players begin to understand the concepts and play like a team.  Watching them demonstrate good sportsmanship and good character is enough to make me very proud to coach them.”

Regardless of the team’s undeniable knack for winning games, kids like junior Ryan Shields say they don’t just play for the undefeated record, or the glory of winning games. Shields has been a part of the school’s unified sports programs for multiple years now. He was diagnosed with cerebral palsy and now sees himself as a role model for kids with disabilities.

“I think the kids look up to me a lot because of the fact that I have a disability and might be able to do things that some can’t,” Shields said.

Elijah Ellis decided to join the unified basketball team for the opportunity to play alongside his brother, Noah Ellis.

“My brother’s an athlete on the team, and I see how happy being a part of the team makes him and everyone else,” Elijah said. “It’s my second year playing and I wouldn’t give it up for anything.”