Fall Preview: Football

School is starting. The leaves are changing. Summer is fading away and fall is approaching. That can only mean one thing.

Football season has arrived.

The football team finished with a 3-6 record last season that left them out of the playoffs. This year, the team will look to improve their record and seek a postseason berth. However, in order to do so, the team will have to come together as a whole, according to senior lineman and captain Chris Komst.

“Football is a team sport,” Komst said. “It’s more than just having a few standout players. Every man must win their battle for the team to succeed.”

The Lancers will need to fill in some voids, as they did lose some significant players to graduation. Running back/safety Dave Wiedenfeld, linebacker Gary Richard, and wide receiver/cornerback/kicker Nick Donnelly all graduated last year, all with All-Conference team honors. And senior standout tight end Cam Reddy will be attending prep school this year, so the Lancers will be in need for new players to step up. But Komst feels confident about the way the team is looking.

“I think that because a lot of the team is returning from last year, we have experience on our side,” Komst said.

Some of the experience comes from senior linebacker Nick Scarfo and senior lineman Zac Garside, who both received honorable mention all-conference selections last year. Other returning varsity players include senior running back Eric Doran, senior quarterback Jake Stevens, and junior lineman Jake Mullin.

The team has been practicing throughout the whole summer, preparing themselves for this season, which kicks off Saturday against the defending DI champions, the Goffstown Grizzlies.

“We’ve put a lot of work into preparing for the game against Goffstown,” Komst said. “We as a team are excited to come out and show the state what we’ve got this season.”

The game against Goffstown is on this Saturday, September 3, at 1:30 at Goffstown High School.