Fall Preview: Golf

Senior Nick McCann is the definition of consistency

One stroke can make all the difference in the game of golf.

The LHS golf team sure knows that.

After winning three out of their last four matches in which every stroke counted, the Lancer golfers got into the NHIAA golf tournament last year, where they finished 9th out of 10 teams . The same grit that it took last year to get in the postseason will need to be present this season, as the golfers lost their top two shooters from last year, Dan Pleva and Jason Coburn, with Pleva qualifying for the individual state tournament last year.

“We lost three of the kids from last year,” said senior Tommy Dutra. “But we have a lot of younger players on this team that shot well last year, so hopefully they can step up for us this year as well.”

The team will look to for both the veterans and the youth on the team to help carry them this season. They will have some new faces leading the way for the Lancer golfers.

“Our top shooters should be Brian Boyle, Nick McCann, and Thomas Marcantonio,” Dutra said.

McCann, a senior, put forth strong efforts last year and will provide some of the experience on the team. Boyle and Marcantonio, both sophomores, will look to improve their game and help the team get back into the state tournament. And Dutra is confident on how the team is looking.

“If everyone plays to their full potential, I think we will have a solid season,” Dutra said.

The golfers had their first match August 26 at Salem. They finished third out of the three teams, as the team shot a 230, finishing behind Keene, who shot a 192, and Salem,who shot a 217.

The team’s next match will be today, August 31 at 3:15 at Passaconaway Country Club.