Spring Preview: Boys’ Track and Field

Junior Jake Donnelly pushes towards the finsih. Donnelly will one of the newer varsity faces this year.
Photo by Julie Wasserman

The boys track and field team will have many holes to fill this year, after a fairly successful 2016 campaign, where the finished fourth at the DI Meet of Champions. However, that team included seven athletes that graduated last June, including 300 m hurdles champion Trevor Guay.

“This year will be a tough year,” senior Chris Zaino said. “We will have a lot of work after losing so many key people from last year.”

This team will look to continue from their indoor season, where they finished in ninth place out of 16 teams. However, Zaino does say he expects the spring to continue to be a rebuilding season.

“We have a lot of younger kids that will need to step up,” Zaino said. “I expect [juniors] Brian Metro and Nate Seeley to be some of our top performers.”

The boys will be bringing back experienced seniors Declan Hotter and Kyle Freire as well, along with Zaino, who is fresh off a second place finish at the DI state meet in the 1500 m run.

The team’s first meet is this Saturday, April 8, at the University of New Hampshire.