Media birds get new Nest, fan grub gets new hub

Photo By Riley Walberg

Throughout the spring and part of the summer, construction noises could be heard behind Londonderry High School as the old press box was torn down and an updated version built up in its place, along with a new concession stand.

The brand new concession stand being put to the test during the first home football game on Friday, September 18.
Photo By Riley Walberg

Of the two new buildings, the first one is for a brand new concession stand, located right next to the old one. This new concession stand is equipped with modernized appliances, fryers to make fresh french fries and onion rings, an outdoor area for grilling, as well as restrooms for athletes, coaches, and fans.

The old concession stand is currently being used as a storage area for grounds keeping equipment, but no official use for it has been decided yet.

“We believe this will help us be able to offer more of a variety of things, such as grilled hot dogs and burgers instead of steamed ones, and to do it more quickly,” Athletic Director Mr. Sobolov said.

The second building is a new press box up on the varsity football field, which improves the visibility of coaches and filming crews.  It also gives them more space and allows more media crews and coaches to be able to be up there. The new press box also has more space for storage below it. 

The construction of these updated buildings was determined to be necessary for safety reasons because the originals were built in the early 1980s by volunteers.

“The old ones served us well,” Sobolov said. “But it was time for a change.”