Scare yourself a night out at Haunted Woods

Last+year%2C+drama+club+members+Brendan+Schabhetl+and+Ben+Dionne+dressed+up+like+a+grandma+and+grandpa+to+entertain+people+while+they+waited+in+line+for+Haunted+Woods.+
Photo by Emily Schackart
Last year, drama club members Brendan Schabhetl and Ben Dionne dressed up like a grandma and grandpa to entertain people while they waited in line for Haunted Woods.

The Haunted Woods welcomes students and community members with skeleton arms.

For the past few weeks, the Drama and Improv clubs have been working hard on this event, from writing their skits to setting up blood in a hospital room, but it’ll be all worth it when the clock strikes six, and kids, young and old, will come down to the Haunted Woods for a local night out of thrills and chills.

“It’s a lot of work to do this event,” House 4 counselor and Drama Club adviser Mrs. Nelson said. “But seeing everyone come together is the best part about it. It makes all the work worth it when people come. We’ve had awesome crowds the past few years.”

Each year brings in around 300-500 people over the three nights of the event.  According to Nelson, many come, not only for the fun the Haunted Woods bring, but also to support the high school. Many of the students who come also support their friends who are part of the Haunted Woods.

“A good amount of high school students support the event because their friends are in it,” Nelson said. “They also remember coming as kids, so it’s something that they look forward to every year.”

Both the Improv and Drama Club make sure there are a variety of features in the Haunted Woods to look forward to, changing up their skits every year, from the Little Goblin Garden for the younger kids to the spine-chilling walk-through for the older kids and adults who wish to dare themselves for a good scare. There’s also a full table of baked goods and other treats available after surviving the tricks.

And if you’re the kind who doesn’t scare so easily, then challenge accepted.  They have that covered, too.

“If you’re not easily afraid,” Okyar said, “then you can look forward to the comedy side of the woods this year. I, along with my partner Sean Daley, will be tour guides, as Mario and Luigi.”

Last year’s tour guides were a cranky, old couple who could not stop arguing, but this year Mario and Luigi will be leading the groups to more than just Bowser’s lair, taking a new spin on the Haunted Woods.

“Seeing kids be creative is always great no matter what the event is,” Nelson said. “They come with things I never would have thought of.”

So come by and check out what they have in show this year. Mario, Luigi, and all their other friends are looking forward to seeing you.

“It’s cool to see kids in a different light out there doing their thing,” Nelson said. “It’s fun, so I hope people will come out and support us.”