Wear denim. Donate dollars. Help defeat breast cancer.

Juster and pep rally aides host Lee Denim Day on Friday, Oct. 2, to help raise money toward breast cancer research.
Photo by Mrs. DeWinkeleer

Mr. Juster and his team of pep rally aides will host Lee Denim Day on Friday, Oct. 2.

Lee Denim Day began 20 years ago when a group of employees at Lee Jeans discussed how breast cancer had affected all of their lives, and they decided to make a stand.

Lee Jeans encouraged companies to allow their employees to wear jeans to work, paying a $5 donation in order to dress down for the day. In 20 years, this initiative has raised over $93 million.

In past years at LHS, the effort has typically remained among the faculty, however, this year Mr. Juster is aiming for the participation to reach farther.

“The teachers have always been very generous, but it is our hope that the student body, informed and energized, will take us to great heights,” Juster said.

Although students are permitted to wear jeans any day of the week, they are encouraged to take a moment and think about this fundraiser as they step into their beloved denim in the morning. Perhaps slipping a few coins or a dollar bill into their pocket before they head off to school.

“I have no idea what has been raised in the past,” Juster said. “It is not about exceeding a number. Every dollar toward breast cancer research truly takes us closer to a cure.” 

Mr. Juster strongly emphasises the fact that there is absolutely no pressure to donate money, but a few coins here and there add up to a lot.

If you would like to give a donation toward breast cancer research, look for any pep rally aide (wearing a white Lancer Nation long sleeve shirt, red sneakers, and jeans, of course) between classes in the main lobby, or find Mr. Juster in room 204.