What an expansion of teams would mean for the CFP

New+debate+has+sparked+about+re-sizing+the+College+Football+Playoffs.+
New debate has sparked about re-sizing the College Football Playoffs.

The college football selection committee had their hands full again this season. The 13 members of the committee were tasked with picking the top four teams in the country to make the playoffs. There are so many teams that are deserving of a chance to play for the championship, but the amount of playoff teams still have not changed.

According to Bleacher Report, discussions are beginning to open up about changing the playoff system to eight teams. This would be a good way to give more teams an opportunity to make it even without a conference championship because as it stands right now, if a team does not win their conference, there is little chance to make it in.

Controversy was sparked when Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame, and Oklahoma were named the top four this season. There were lots of discussions as to who should get consideration for the four seed. Georgia and Ohio State were seeds five and six respectively and each had worthy cases to get into the playoffs.

Alabama was crowned with the one seed and Clemson came in second, and now they will square off in the CFP on January 7 at 8pm.

Notre Dame went undefeated, but they are an independent. That means that they did not even have a conference championship and had an easier schedule then some of the other teams that were just behind them.

If the committee wants to get the best teams in the playoffs, they should extend the amount of teams in the playoffs.

Georgia had two losses this season, but they lost to two good teams and kept the scores close. Ohio State lost just one game this year, just like Oklahoma who got in. The only difference between the two teams losses was the score and opponent. Ohio State lost to a Purdue team that was a huge underdog going into the game, but blew them out of the water, and Oklahoma lost to a ranked Texas team early in the year, but got their revenge in the championship.

Since the loss to Purdue, Ohio State had been on a tear. They made it to their conference championship game where they absolutely rolled through Northwestern for their fifth win in a row. The Buckeyes offense, led by their quarterback Dwayne Haskins, came together after the embarrassing loss to Purdue and defeated both ranked and unranked opponents by double digits each time.

By extending the amount of teams who are able to compete in the playoffs, competition would increase and players declaring to the draft would be more likely to play in their tournament games. At this point, there is no real reason for college football to keep the playoff system the same, as there are plenty of skilled teams to add in season after season.

We want to hear your opinion on this! Comment your opinion on how you would like the playoffs look in the section below.