Crazy hats fill LHS halls, donated hats fill House 4 bins

Lizy Stubbs, Opinions Editor

Today was “Crazy Hat Day” in Lancer Nation, but it was about a lot more than just stylish headgear.

The crazy cowboy and witch hats weren’t worn just for fun, but rather to encourage people to donate hats to kids at Massachusetts General Hospital who are battling cancer and have lost their hair as a result.

Senior Emily Crouse and House 4 AP Ms. Sullivan spearheaded today's "Crazy Hat Day" to raise awareness about childhood cancer and to inspire students and staff to donate hats for kids with cancer.

Emily Schackart
Senior Emily Crouse and House 4 AP Ms. Sullivan spearheaded today’s “Crazy Hat Day” to raise awareness about childhood cancer and to inspire students and staff to donate hats for kids with cancer.

Senior Emily Crouse and House 4 Assistant Principal Ms. Sullivan worked together to spearhead this project, now in its second year.

“The kids really appreciate the hats,” Crouse said. “Especially the little girls. They want princess ones.”

Crouse said she finds her motivation from her brother Michael who was diagnosed with osteosarcoma, a type of bone cancer, when he was junior at LHS.

“I remember people were always donating things, and I wanted to do something like that too,” Crouse said. “He wore a hat all the time.”

Ms. Sullivan said she volunteered to help Crouse because she loves to support any organization.

“This is an easy fundraiser for a good cause,” Sullivan said. “Why wouldn’t I do it?”

And perhaps the need for these hats is exemplified by the fact that last year the hats were not able to be delivered in person because it was flu season, and the kids at the hospital weren’t allowed to have visitors due to their weakened immune system.

However, Crouse said she was able to see pictures of the donated hats being given to the kids, and a certain Patriot’s fan stood out to her.

“One girl wanted a pink Patriot’s hat,” Crouse said. “They had to search for it, but there was one in the bottom of the bin, and when she saw it, she lit up.”

Math teachers Mrs. Chisolm, Mrs. Sharp and Mrs. Thomas

Currently the bin outside of House 4 is only half-full, and since the cancer-fighting duo is hoping to double the number of hats from last year’s 110, the fundraiser has been extended another week.

So drop by House 4 by Friday, Oct. 23, with a hat and know that every donation can give strength to those who may not have any.

Staff wears ‘crazy hats’ to support cause

bouchard

Spanish teacher Mrs. Bouchard

Skudder

Math teacher Ms. Skudder

Rosa

Spanish teacher Mr. Rosa

Frau

German teacher Frau Trammell

Hat_Prugh

Substitute teacher Mr. Prugh

HatDay_Willis

History teacher Mr. Willis

History teacher Ms. Tallo

Sloper

House 1 AP Mrs. Sloper

MrsC

House 4 secretary Mrs. Carasquillo