Class of 2020 Advisers give details on senior events

Photo by Kait Bedell
Class of 2020 important Senior Week dates.

After months of Zoom meetings and contingency plans, the Class of 2020 will soon be honored with the traditional end-of-the-year events. 

On Wednesday, July 1, 2020, Senior Class advisers Mrs. Lafore and Mrs. Tebbetts addressed the senior class through an email which consisted of details on Senior Week.

Even though they are happening later than usual, Lafore said in an interview that she felt it was so important to make these events happen because they are “such major milestones in a teen’s life.” 

Tebbetts and Lafore both said they wanted to find a way to celebrate the students in a way that would allow them to have some family members at graduation in addition to a traditional prom after all they’ve been through.

“We feel that the Class of 2020 deserves to be celebrated for their perseverance and their accomplishments,” Tebbetts said. “They have been resilient, they have been hopeful, and they deserve time in the spotlight in front of their families and friends.”

The class advisers have been working closely with the senior class officers to ensure these events happen, and have finally been able to provide details.

Class of 2020 Senior Social

The Senior Social will take place behind the Plateau parking lot on Monday, July 27 from 5pm-8:30pm with a rain date of Tuesday, July 28. 

The free event open to LHS seniors will include a DJ, outdoor activities, and a box dinner. Students who wish to attend can rsvp and choose their meal at this link

Traditional Senior Prom at Castleton 

In addition to the information provided about the Senior Social, it was announced that the Prom will be held on Friday, July 31 from 6pm-10pm at Castleton Banquet and Conference Center in Windham, NH. 

Only LHS students will be allowed to attend due to safety concerns. The cost of the event will be $75 per ticket and students can visit these links to sign up for a table and vote for Prom King and Queen

A Castleton representative said there will be modifications as far as wearing masks and social distancing goes, but at this point she is confident the venue will not cancel the event. The only way the LHS prom will be cancelled is if the Londonderry School District decides to do so.

After months of uncertainty and planning, Senior Prom Chair Celia Ponto said she is pleased that the event has finally been approved. 

“My heart was very heavy when I first got news about the uncertainty surrounding having prom this year, and all the other senior events,” Ponto said. “It was an enormous group effort to give our class the senior events we deserve and still be able to ensure everyone’s safety, but we did it! Our prom will be one for the books! I have never been more proud to be a Lancer.”

Despite the many obstacles they faced as they navigated through the restrictions and safety precautions of COVID-19, the officers board have continued to work hard toward making these events possible. 

Senior Class Vice President Abbie Ellis said she is “extremely thankful for the support we have received during this time.”

“To be frank, the decision-making process was really difficult and extremely emotionally taxing,” Ellis said.“It was hard for our board members because not only did we have to process the grief of losing senior year and these events, but we also had the jobs of rescheduling them on top of that.”

During this unpresented time, the class officers had to step up and represent their class, which Senior Class President Kerry Daley said the board did “relentlessly.”

By securing end of July dates for Senior Week early in the contingency planning stages, the board was able to allow themselves more time for the state to open up while also ensuring the safety of students. 

“Everybody was dedicated and determined, and as a result of that work ethic, Londonderry is now one of the lone schools in the state I believe where a large scale prom and graduation event is being held,” Daley said. “Pretty amazing if you ask me.”

In addition to the response of the class officers, the senior class also had to adjust during this unusual time. 

Daley said that the Class of 2020 is “special” which helped them continue to better themselves and their community despite the challenges they were presented with. 

“Even with a global pandemic wreaking havoc on the world, this class still attempted to make life as ‘normal’ as humanly possible,” Daley said. “Through following their passions, they not only made themselves better people on an individual level, but affected the community in positive ways as well.”

Despite the fact most of the world was shut down, the senior class continued to get involved in community service, educated themselves through Zoom calls, and athletes continued to train for future seasons to the best of their abilities. 

“This kind of initiative and action is what I believe makes this class the special class that it is,” Daley said.

All in all, after months of uncertainty the Class of 2020 will soon be honored for all their hard work. Although the senior class will have a set of safety regulations to follow, the officers board is confident these events will be celebrated in as traditional a manner as possible. 

“The Class of 2020 is determined, resilient and hopeful,” Lafore said. “They have experienced something no one before them has experienced and showed strength and perseverance the whole way.”