Music Monday: Exploring the New York rock scene

All images via Spotify
The New York rock scene is one of the most iconic in the country.

New York has been the home to many of the most influential and successful rock bands. These weeks edition of Music Monday features many of these bands, as well as some underrated bands that are worth a listen. As a disclaimer, I am heavily biased towards the punk genre, which is evident based on the featured bands. 

5 Year Plan- H2O

H2O was in the middle of the hardcore punk scene of New York, opening for some of the other bands in this playlist early on in their career. Singer, Toby Morse, uses his ability to be both a rough punk singer at times and also melodic at other times to make H2O a very good listen.

I Wanna Be Sedated- Ramones

Arguably the most influential punk group of all time, The Ramones formed in 1974 and were important not only to punk rock, but the entire New York music scene. With a distinct sound and many hits, The Ramones remain as one of the most popular punk rock bands.

Die, Die My Darling- Misfits

Misfits are another super influential band for both their music and visual aspects. The group is known for their “Horror Punk”, as most of their songs are influenced by horror films and morbid imagery.

Got The Time- Anthrax

Moving away from the punk scene, Anthrax was one of the biggest thrash metal bands, and one of the first from New York. “Got The Time” is a fast paced and energetic song, off of their fifth album Persistence Of Time. It is a cover of the song by singer, Joe Jackson.

Unsung- Helmet

Released in 1992, off of Helmet’s second album, Meantime, “Unsung” remains the bands top hit. Helmet is known for their influential alternative metal sound that made them so popular not only in New York, but eventually worldwide.

Cult of Personality- Living Colour

Living Colour’s hit, “Cult Of Personality”, is one of the most recognizable songs on the playlist, reaching #6 on the billboard charts in 1988. Made popular for their hard rock sound, Living Colour first formed in 1984 by guitarist Vernon Reid, who was previously playing in the jazz scene of New York.

Somebody’s Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In- Murphy’s Law

Returning back into the hardcore punk of New York, Murphy’s Law was at the forefront of the scene, forming in 1982. Most songs by them, including “Somebody’s Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In”, are very short and fast paced songs. Bands like this were really looking to have shows filled with mosh pits and excitement like that.

Scratch The Surface- Sick Of It All

By far the heaviest punk band on this playlist, Sick Of It All was even considered a part of the beatdown hardcore genre. It is definitely not the music for everyone, but it was crucial in the punk genre and music of New York.

Kool Thing- Sonic Youth

With a softer sound than anything else here, Sonic Youth was popular for a different sound that was labeled under many genres such as noise rock, alternative, experimental, indie, and no wave. “Kool Thing” was the lead single off of the album, Goo, which was a huge commercial success for the band.

I Don’t Wanna Be Me- Type O Negative

Type O Negative is iconic for the gothic themes throughout their music. This can be heard in “I Don’t Wanna Be Me”, one of the most popular songs by the New York metal band. With more of a punk sound to it, the song was the lead single off the band’s 2003 album, Life is Killing Me.