Music Monday: Checking out bands from England

All Images via Spotify
England has been the home to many influential bands.

Music has seen so many huge movements and genres begin across the ocean in England. From early rock with bands like the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, early punk bands like the Clash, second wave ska bands such as the Specials and Madness, and so many other influential bands with roots in England. This playlist features some of those influential bands and as always, I am extremely biased while choosing who to feature.

Song 2- Blur

Formed in London, Blur kicks off this Monday with their iconic “Song 2”. This is the song that brought them mainstream success in the US, as the band experimented with a more American indie rock sound. Though it doesn’t sound too similar to their other music, “Song 2” remains Blur’s most popular song.

Rudie Can’t Fail- The Clash

The Clash were huge contributors to the original British punk scene and albums London Calling and Combat Rock remain iconic to this day. “Rudie Can’t Fail” is the fifth track off of London Calling which is not only regarded as one of the best punk albums of all time, but albums in general.

Boys Don’t Cry- The Cure

Popular for their alternative sound, The Cure has been hugely successful in not only their home country but in the US as well. The band had both pop elements and post-punk, that made them so iconic. “Boys Don’t Cry” was released as a stand alone single in 1979 and is one of the band’s most popular songs.

Message In A Bottle- The Police

Big in both the UK and the US, The Police released five studio albums, all filled with hits. With their music being influenced by punk and reggae, The Police have a very radio friendly sound. “Message In A Bottle” was the lead single off of the Reggatta de Blanc album, which topped the UK charts.

Mirror In The Bathroom- The Beat

A popular band of the two-tone ska movement of the 1980’s, The Beat, also known as The English Beat in America, released just three albums as a band. “Mirror In The Bathroom” remains their top hit since it’s release in 1980.

One Step Beyond- Madness

Madness was on top of England music during the 1980’s, having 15 separate singles reach the UK top 10 charts. To this day they remain icons in England, while in the US their song “Our House” reached number seven on the Billboard Hot 100. “One Step Beyond” displays their ska sound that made them so popular.

Gangsters- The Specials

The final two-tone band featured on the playlist is The Specials. They had multiple number one charting songs in the UK, and “Gangsters” charted as high as six. Although it charted so high, it was never actually released in any UK version of a Specials studio album.

Just- Radiohead

Radiohead was an immediate success as a band, with their debut single, “Creep”, popularizing them worldwide. Though it still remains their most recognizable song, the band continues to play music to this day. “Just” was the seventh track off of their second album The Bends, released in 1995, which moved them up from a one hit wonder band to a very recognized English band.

I Wanna Be Adored- The Stone Roses

Moving into an alternative sound, The Stone Roses only released just two studio albums as a band. “I Wanna Be Adored” was the first track of the band’s self-titled debut album, which wasn’t an immediate success, but grew in popularity along with the band as they toured. Now the album is heavily acclaimed and cements The Stone Roses place in England music history.

Swallowed- Bush

Bush is a group that became more popular in the US than their home country. Despite having numerous top ten singles in America, the band only had marginal success in the UK. This makes sense as they have a more American grunge sound. “Swallowed” was the lead single off of the album Razorblade Suitcase, which debuted at number one on the US Billboard 200 and actually was able to make it to number four on the UK Album Charts.

Ace Of Spades- Motörhead

Motörhead set the scene for British heavy metal which really took off in the late 70’s into the 80’s. The group was also able to fuse punk aspects into their music which was very uncommon at the time. The band released 22 studio albums over the course of their career, and were iconic in the metal scene’s of both the UK and US. “Ace Of Spades” remains one of band’s most notable songs since it’s release in 1980.

The Trooper- Iron Maiden

Another heavily influential metal band from this time is Iron Maiden who used inspirations such as literature and history for their songwriting. The band gives off a very academic feel, with songs being based upon great historic stories, while still being a heavy metal group. “The Trooper” is based on a battle in English history from the 1800’s and is one of the bands more popular songs in the US.

Rock Bottom- UFO

Formed slightly before Motörhead and Iron Maiden, UFO gives less of a heavy metal sound and is more similar to hard rock. The band was popular both here and in the UK, as they have had multiple charting songs in both countries.

Children Of The Grave- Black Sabbath

One of the most popular bands of all time, and the pioneers of heavy metal, Black Sabbath formed in 1968 and released their first album in 1970. The group had many hugely successful songs including “Children Of The Grave”, which was the single for their 1971 hit album Master Of Reality.