Music Monday: Checking out the Seattle music scene

All images via Spotify
The city of Seattle has been the home to many different musical genres, most famously the grunge movement of the 1990’s.

The city of Seattle has been the home to many different musical genres, most famously the grunge movement of the 1990’s. A lot of these bands are some of the most popular in rock music, with many recognizable hits. This week’s Music Monday features the many great musical groups to come out of the Seattle area.

Them Bones- Alice In Chains

Formed in 1987, Alice in Chains was one of the biggest names in the grunge movement of the early 1990’s. The band released three albums in the 90’s, all of which had major success. “Them Bones” is off the group’s second album, Dirt, released in 1992, and shows the bands grunge and heavy metal sounds.

Outshined -Soundgarden

Soundgarden was another band that hugely helped the popularization of grunge music. Three of the group’s six albums were released in the 90’s and these were the most successful released by the band. Badmotorfinger was the first of these three, released in 1991, and featured the song “Outshined” among many other hits.

You- Candlebox

Candlebox saw immediate success with the release of their self-titled debut album, which had their single “Far Behind” chart in the top 20. “You” is the third track off of the album and also had significant radio air time.

State Of Love And Trust- Pearl Jam

Another face of the Seattle grunge movement, Pearl Jam rose to fame with their 1991 hit album, Ten. With the iconic vocals of singer, Eddie Vedder, the band has a distinct sound that made them one of the most influential bands of the 90’s. “State of Love And Trust” features this iconic grunge sound that made Pearl Jam so popular.

Territorial Pissings- Nirvana

Arguably the face of 90’s grunge, Nirvana is one of the best selling bands of all time for their sound that was a mix of punk and grunge. Nevermind is often regarded as one of the best albums of all time, with singles such as “Smells Like Teen Spirit”, “Come As You Are”, “Lithium”, and “In Bloom”. “Territorial Pissings” is the seventh track off of this highly successful album.

Breakout- Foo Fighters

The Foo Fighters formed in 1994, by former Nirvana drummer Dave Grohl, shortly after the passing of singer, Kurt Cobain. Off of their 1999 album, There Is Nothing Left To Lose, “Breakout” was able to reach number 11 on the US Mainstream Rock Charts. Sadly, drummer Taylor Hawkins recently passed away, which makes the bands future uncertain. Hawkins, along with Grohl, is a face for the band and his passing is tragic. 

Voodoo Child- Jimi Hendrix

One of the biggest names in rock music, Jimi Hendrix was born in Seattle in 1942. Though his career was short, releasing just 3 albums before his untimely death in 1970, Hendrix is one of the most influential and memorable guitarists of all time. “Voodoo Child” is off of Hendrix’ third album, Electric Ladyland, which reached number 20 on the US charts.

Jet City Woman- Queensrÿche

Formed in 1980, Queensrÿche was a part of the progressive metal scene that saw success in the late 80’s. Though they are still touring to this day, the band saw it’s peak in the early 90’s with the release of Empire, the group’s fourth studio album. The sixth track on this album is “Jet City Woman”, which was also the fourth single they released for the record.

Monkey Business- Skid Row

A popular band in the hair metal movement of the 80’s, Skid Row immediately made it big with their self titled debut album in 1989. The band’s first two records did very well, and were during the height of hair metal, before the grunge movement took place in the same home city of Skid Row. “Monkey Business” was the lead single for the band’s second album, Slave To The Grind.