LHS Student Council 10th Annual Craft Fair another success

[Best_Wordpress_Gallery id=”228″ gal_title=”Student Councils 10th Annual Craft Fair”]

Spanish teacher Heather Bouchard wanted to find a cool way to fundraise as a class adviser back in 2013. This thought led to the creation of the Annual Holiday Craft Fair that the Student Council now organizes, which many look forward to every year.

“I used to be a craft fair vendor with my mom, and I was looking for ideas for a fundraiser when I was a class adviser,” said Bouchard, who is now the Student Council adviser along with math teacher Hannah Dailey. “It took a few years of me going to multiple craft fairs and speaking to vendors, but I now have a contact list that is very long and varied.”

Over the years, craft fairs have become popular among small businesses as place for them to showcase their handmade holiday creations for the winter season. Since Bouchard created the one at LHS, these businesses have been able to sell their pieces locally for the past 10 years.

And the craft fair keeps growing.

“I still have new vendors that email me every year looking to get in because it’s also advertised online,” Bouchard said.

The planning is also something that is really well thought out. The Student Council gets the list of vendors beforehand, and then they go from there.

“I have a map template for the spaces, so we just have to tape the floor and set up the tables the day before,” Bouchard said.

Math teacher and Student Council adviser Hannah Dailey oversees the event along with Bouchard. She said she “really enjoys” the fair and getting to see how it all comes together every year. The student council held its most recent holiday craft fair on Nov. 18, 2023.

“It is a chance for vendors to showcase beautiful work and amazing products,” Dailey said. “It also allows students and student organizations to participate in an event where they can get connected to the greater Londonderry community.”

The craft fair also allows students and people around town to get their holiday shopping started. Plus, they have activities for everybody.

“We had a Kid’s Corner this year as well, which featured a reindeer food-making activity and writing letters to Santa,” Dailey said, “so there is truly something for everyone.”

Bouchard has some ideas as to why the craft fair has become more and more popular every year.

“I think it’s become successful because we have a variety of products for sale,” Bouchard said. “We make it a point to not have two people selling the same items.”