Strike a pose with LHS’s trendiest new club

Members of the Fashion Club “create a community through fashion”
(From left to right) Adviser Jennifer Anderson, president Ava Griffin, vice president Brenna Langley, secretary Mishal Khan, and publicist Ava Blackington during a meeting of the Fashion club in room 302. According to Langley, the group aims to “create a community through fashion” by exploring ways to express themselves through style (Photo by Bridget Berry).

According to the Fashion Club, tops are out. Well, maybe that needs more context.

During their most recent meeting, the discussion of “going-out tops” being out of style and the rise of statement pants was just one of many topics that arose. Among the others were fashion in the workplace, Paris Fashion Week, and future plans for a large-scale runway showcase later in the year.

“Our mission is to give people the opportunity to learn about and express themselves through fashion.”

— Brenna Langley

While they have big plans for future projects, the club’s current goal is to grow in size while remaining tightly-knit. Senior Ava Griffin, club founder and president, wants to share her passion for clothes and design with students who may not have prior experience with the topics.

“When I took my first fashion class last year, it was the only class of the day that I was excited to go to,” Griffin said. “I never wanted to leave. I brought it up to Mrs. Anderson that I wanted to be able to do this for more than just 45 minutes, so the whole goal was to have more time to be able to create and just express ourselves, especially with more kids that aren’t in the class.”

This value of sharing her enthusiasm and love for fashion with others is at the heart of the club’s mission.

“We want to give people the opportunity to come [to our club meetings] when they might not be able to take a fashion class,” said Griffin.

In the club’s discussion on workplace fashion, senior Brenna Langley, the club’s vice president, emphasizes the power behind clothes. Langley always dresses to impress, believing clothes have the power to communicate your personality to others and build confidence.

“What you wear helps you rise to be this bigger person,” Langley said.

Though she feels most confident when dressed up, she acknowledged that dressing for confidence can look different for different people.

“My sister [a nurse] feels powerful in her scrubs, because she feels like a hero in a way,” Langley said. “She’s so confident in what she wears to work and gets a sort of ‘boss energy’ from it.”

Langley, along with Griffin, aims to use the club to reach out to students and connect with them through fashion.

Seniors Ava Griffin (left) and Brenna Langley (right) are the president and vice president of the fashion club respectively. “A lot of times me and Ava bounce off of each other really well,” Langley said. The pair work together with the club to create fun and interesting ideas for meetings and fundraisers to put on (Photo by Bridget Berry).

“Our mission is to give people the opportunity to learn about and express themselves through fashion,” Langley said.

Freshmen Mishal Khan and Ava Blackington, serving as the secretary and publicist respectively, work together to gather notes and ideas to improve the club’s social media presence.

Blackington enjoys looking through vintage runway collections, and encourages new members to “discover other forms of fashion that they haven’t seen.”

Keeping up with ever-evolving trends, Khan looks at self expression “through the lens of fashion” to create outfits.

Club adviser Jennifer Anderson enjoys how the club “works together to create great ideas” for meetings and events.

The club is always accepting new members and is currently looking forward to future meetings of discussing trends, planning events, and looking through old runway collections. Meetings are currently held Wednesdays after school, but the schedule is subject to change (check their instagram and tiktok pages @lancerfashionclub for updates). Prospective members can join the google classroom with code jzf5vtv.