Community Service Club brings awareness to the “great need” at homeless shelters

LHS Community Service Club partners with the NH Food Bank for second annual sock drive
The CSC’s sock drive will be running through February 7th and will be collecting donations in the Main Office and Leach Library.
Created by Bridget Berry in Canva

For the second year in a row, the Community Service Club is holding a sock drive in partnership with the NH Food Bank. The club got the idea for the drive last year when homeless shelters in Manchester were “experiencing significant needs for goods,” according to senior club Historian Abigail Harrington.

Last year’s drive yielded 234 large Ziplock bags containing toothpaste, a toothbrush, deodorant, hand warmers, tissues, travel-size wipes, socks, and cereal bars.  This year, they hope to exceed that amount to further their impact on local shelters.

An example of a care package put together by the Community Service Club for people in NH shelters. Each bag contains socks, hygiene items, hand warmers, and cereal bars. (Photo used with permission form Kelly Giguere)

The drive is district-wide, with drop-boxes available at all Londonderry schools as well as the Leach Library. Co-advisers Kelly Giguere and Susan Wakelin and the rest of the club encourage everyone in the community to come out and support this event.

“Members of the community can bring donations to the Leach Library,” Harrington said. “We are looking for all donations there, not just socks, so things like deodorant, Wet Ones, toothbrushes and toothpaste, and travel sized tissues.”

The socks the Community Service Club is most interested in collecting are men’s and women’s calf length socks, but children’s socks are also appreciated.

The sock drive will run through Wednesday, Feb. 7. After the drive, the CSC will be putting together care packages of essential items and donating them to NH shelters. When someone checks into a shelter, they will receive one of these care packages.