Chess club to host tournament at LHS Saturday, Dec. 5

Photo by Caroline Russell
Chess club members like senior Nate Livernois prepare for this Saturday’s chess tournament by participating in practice games of chess during club meetings.

While chess may be one of the world’s oldest games, students of all ages can enjoy the game by joining the LHS chess club.

“I play chess not only because it’s fun, but because it’s a game of risks,” said chess club member senior Michael Sweet. “The game is a good mental challenge and depends on many things. A player must always take chances. Even though it’s risky, it can be rewarding.”

While the club has already participated in several tournaments this year, they are most excited for the one they will be hosting this upcoming Saturday.

Senior Michael Sweet said he plays chess "not only because it's fun, but because it's a game of risks."
Photo by Caroline Russell
Senior Michael Sweet said he plays chess “not only because it’s fun, but because it’s a game of risks.”

“I really enjoy hosting tournaments at our school,” Sweet said. “Because the tournament is local, it is easier for the students, teachers, and parents to come and show their support for us.”

Chess club adviser Ms. Jabar is also greatly looking forward to hosting the tournament.  Last year, around 40 participants from around the state attended, and according to Jabar it was a “huge success.”

“To be chosen to hold a chess tournament is difficult,” Jabar said. “Our tournament last year was such a success and great time for everyone that we were asked to host it again.”

The chess club consists of members who join just for fun and to play the game of chess as well as members who sign up and register to be a part of the New Hampshire Chess Association.

Both groups have already kicked off their year by attending a few tournaments, but it’s not too late for interested students to join.

“I would encourage anyone interested to come,” Jabar said.  “It is no pressure to be involved— it’s really just a fun time for everyone who takes part.”

Junior Ariana Simard contemplates her next move during a chess club meeting.
Photo by Caroline Russell

The chess club regularly attends competitions, which are typically held every other Saturday. Matches are held on a weekend because they can be long and a weekday would be too short.

A typical match is played by two people with a chessboard between them and a clock on the playing surface as well. The clock is set for 30 minutes on each side, so both opponents are allotted that amount of time to make their strategic moves and attempt to win the match. To win, the player must either get their opponent into checkmate, or get their opponent’s time to run out.

“Next year I’m hoping for a good bunch of kids will come out to play chess,” Jabar said. “If anybody is interested, they are more than welcome to join. We aim to include everyone we can. It’s really just a great time, so if you’re interested, I encourage you to come and get involved.”