NHS puts the ‘fun’ in fundraising at Lancer Games

Four teams, ten games, one winner. 

The National Honors Society hosted Lancer Games, a brand new fundraising event that involves clubs and sports teams challenging themselves in a variety of activities. The money raised did not only go towards NHS, but also to the top two teams that won the games.

The Class of 2017 team included Chris Komst, Annika Lidster, Olivia Palumbo, Emily Vrettos, and Shea Robinson.
Photo by Melina Illinger

Four teams participated in the event including Student Council, the Class of 2017, the Boys’ Track Team, and the Girls’ Track Team.

“This is chapter service and community service,” NHS advisor Mrs. Juster said. “We decided to split the money between us and the school groups in order to meet both of our service requirements.”

While the event turnout was slightly under expectations, this is only the first year hosting Lancer Games, and it was a great success as far as raising money and having fun goes.

Members Alex Seeley, Andrea Wooldridge, Devyn Enwright, Hunter Langley, Jordan Dufresne, and Yogo Ortiz participated on the team for Girls' Track and Field.
Photo by Melina Illinger
Members Alex Seeley, Andrea Wooldridge, Devyn Enwright, Hunter Langley, Jordan Dufresne, and Yogo Ortiz participated on the team for Girls’ Track and Field.

NHS president and senior Hayley Peters was happy with the turnout and has high hopes for NHS hosting this event in the following years.

“For the future, I hope that Lancer Games will continue to grow,” Peters said.

Junior Annika Lidster from the Class of 2017 team agreed that Lancer Games is a night that “more people will come to in the future.”

Students participating in the games felt as though they benefited in many ways by attending and choosing to spend their Friday night a little differently.

The Student Council's team included members Brennon Berard, Laura Doherty, Anna Gruchot, Allison Martin, and Matthew Bompastore.
Photo by Melina Illinger
The Student Council’s team included members Brennon Berard, Laura Doherty, Anna Gruchot, Allison Martin, and Matthew Bompastore.

“I thought it was so much fun,” senior and Girls’ Track Team member Jordan Dufresne said. “The tasks [were] challenging, but it’s a great way for us to bond with everyone in different grades and extracurricular activities.”

Senior Caleb Moscoso from the Boys’ Track Team also enjoyed the games and was happy to “hang out with [my] bros.”

The Boys' Track and Field Team included Caleb Moscoso, Jared Kane, Bailey Hamilton, Jack Stuart, Brian Metro, Declan Hotter, and Cam Dickson.
Photo by Melina Illinger
The Boys’ Track and Field Team included Caleb Moscoso, Jared Kane, Bailey Hamilton, Jack Stuart, Brian Metro, Declan Hotter, and Cam Dickson.

At the end of the night, all teams walked away with some money and NHS also raised some for their chapter service project. The Girls’ Track Team won first place, granting them 30% of the profits, and the Boys’ Track Team took second place, earning them 15% of the total profits. The third and fourth place teams each earned 2.5% of the profits. 

“The goal was to find a way to raise money without spending money,” NHS advisor Mrs. Juster said. 50% of the total profit went to the Make a Wish Foundation, NHS’s chapter service project this year.

Some of the activities of the night included creating table tents, racing in a shoe relay, tossing colorful marshmallows into solo cups, squeezing through hula hoops, passing balloons over and under, and answering challenging trivia questions. Other games the teams participated in included cup stacking, scooping cotton balls, putting puzzle pieces together, and passing ping pong balls on spoons.

Classic cup stacking was also done during the night’s activities.
Photo by Melina Illinger
Classic cup stacking was done during the night’s activities. Each member on each team had to stack their cups up and then slide them down.
A unique game NHS conducted was called the cotton ball scoop and involved a blindfolded player having to scoop cotton balls up over their head into a bucket.
Photo by Melina Illinger
A unique game NHS conducted was called the cotton ball scoop and involved a blindfolded player having to scoop cotton balls up over their head and into a bucket.

The Class of 2017 team won the cotton ball scoop with over 40 cotton balls collected in their bucket.
Photo by Melina Illinger
One of the games was a cookie scramble in which the teams were given puzzle pieces from a cookie box to put together as quickly as possible.
Photo by Melina Illinger

One of the most memorable games of the night was the ping pong relay in which the teams put spoons in their mouths and passed a ping pong ball to each member.
Photo by Melina Illinger
The Girls' Track Team had multiple victories during the night, including the ping pong relay, leading to their overall win.
Photo by Melina Illinger
The Girls’ Track Team had multiple victories during the night, including the ping pong relay, leading to their overall win.
Seniors Caleb Moscoso and Jared Kane from the Boys' Track Team were careful and steady during the ping pong relay, allowing their team to win second place in the event.
Photo by Melina Illinger
Seniors Caleb Moscoso and Jared Kane from the Boys’ Track Team were careful and steady during the ping pong relay, allowing their team to win second place in the event.