Chess Team hoping for win at Pelham Competition

Seniors Mike Sweet and Nate Livernois practice for one of their upcoming matches.

The chess team will be competing at Pelham Elementary School on April 9, at the 2016 NH Scholastic Team Chess Championships. Teams of four students will compete in hour-long games, and each player will participate in a total of four games.

The players representing LHS will be seniors Nate Livernois, Michael Sweet and Andrew Walsh, and freshman Liam Sawyer.

“It’s a really fun event that we’re going to be doing,” Sweet said.

The tournament is open to all NH Chess Association members in grades K-12. The chess team came in second place last year and is seeking a first place win this season.

“Saturday’s team competition will be a tough one,” chess team adviser Ms. Jabar said, “but LHS  should place in the top three. They have all worked very hard to hone their chess skills.”

The top four teams in each section will receive trophies, top scorers for boards 1-4 in each section will win medals, and any players who score 4-0 with no forfeit wins or byes will also win medals.

“I am very proud of my chess team and how much they have improved over the last two years,” Jabar said.