Lancer baseball looks to end the season strong

Photos by Michaela Smith

Lancer baseball started the beginning of their season on a great streak as they won six out of their first seven games with victories coming against Spaulding, Winnacunnet, Trinity, Concord, and the rival Pinkerton twice. While the Lancers scored 51 runs in that seven game stretch, they only allowed 28 runs.

But recently, the squad went on a skid afterwards as they lost six out of their last nine games to Exeter, Merrimack, Andover, Mass., Salem, Bedford, and Nashua South. With four games remaining in the regular season, Lancer baseball has one goal on their mind: To finish up strong.

Both junior captain Jonny Meskell and senior captain Jimmy Zimolka believe that it’s not the opponent that’s been defeating them during this skid; it’s themselves.

“We haven’t been beaten in a game yet,” Zimolka said. “We just beat ourselves each time one way or another.”

Meskell understands that the beating themselves in games has significantly impacted their performance and record.

“We just haven’t been playing to the best of our ability,” Meskell said. “It’s practically why we’re 9-7 right now; it’s so frustrating because we beat ourselves every time we’ve lost.”

So is the issue to these self-inflicted wounds the team chemistry? Senior pitcher Nick Musto doesn’t believe so.

“The team is like a family,” Musto said. “Everybody loves each other on and off the field.”

Zimolka agrees with Musto.

“Our team chemistry is exactly what we want,” Zimolka said. “We all enjoy being around each other, and our team is built for good laughs and success.”

However, Meskell sees it all from a different perspective. He believes that there’s a lack of team chemistry due to a specific element to their game.

“The team chemistry isn’t where it should be,” Meskell said. “I feel like the pitchers don’t trust the fielders because of the errors we’ve made. The fielders just have to make the fundamental plays to completely get the pitcher’s trust back.”

Looking into the future, Lancer baseball now looks ahead to the second half of their regular season. In order to conclude the season on a high note, Zimolka, Musto and Meskell believe it comes down to execution and playing their style of baseball.

“We need to execute the three parts of baseball. Pitching, hitting, and fielding,” Zimolka said. “If we do all three, we are a top tier team because it allows us to put all the pieces to a baseball game together.”

With approximately two weeks remaining in the regular season, the seniors should especially be focused on these three components of their game. Although 18/20 will end up making the playoffs in Division I, the higher their seed, the better their chances are in conquering the Division I title twice in the past three seasons.

“With the season quickly ending, it’s really sad and disappointing,” Musto said. “I can’t believe we’re almost at that time. But we’re on the hunt for a championship run because I know we have the team to do it. Winning the championship one more time would be the greatest thing to ever happen to us.”