Science department holds first annual award ceremony

After the ceremony, snacks were served including a science cake made by Mr. Cariello.
Photo Courtesy of Mrs. Kerns

The English, math, and foreign language departments all have award ceremonies each year where they honor outstanding students in each subject.

This year the science department is added to the list as on Tuesday March 24 the first annual science award ceremony was held.

Biology and freshman science teacher Mrs. Kerns was a driving force behind the new ceremony.

“It was science’s turn to recognize students,” Kerns said.

Each teacher got to choose two exemplary students to award either The Ernest Rutherford award for excellence in science or the Rosalind E. Franklin award for determination and work ethic.

“We want to promote and foster a love for science in our students,” Kerns said. “We are recognizing kids who have a love of science.”

According to Kerns their is not a lot of interest in the science field amoung college students in the US.

“Science is not a thing kids are wanting to do,” Kerns said. “We want to promote science and science clubs in the school.”

The science department put together the ceremony in just two months and the majority of communication via email.

“Everyone was very supportive and on board,” Kerns said. “Everything went smoothly.”

Freshman science and anatomy teacher Mr. Burgess agreed with Kerns saying “everything went very, very well.”

“The best thing was talking to the parents and extended families after the ceremony,” Burgess said.

After the ceremony snacks made by the science teacher were served. Physics teacher Mr. Cariello made a science cake to be served.

Kerns said that the department is already working on the plan for next year’s awards.

“We want to show kids that science is cool,” Kerns said.

Chart