Beginning your spiritual journey

Art by Katie Huggins
An art piece depicting emotions in which may be felt before spiritual development and healing.

Chaotic emotions seem to arise, bringing stressful and overwhelming energy along with it. It has become a normalcy to life and you always seem to question how this could be changed or if there is a way out, but there remains to be no answer. 

Beginning your spiritual journey can sometimes be difficult. There’s so much information and ideas on where to start, but sometimes all this information being thrown at you makes it even more confusing. 

I’m here to tell you that baby steps are all it takes for growth. I was in this place at one point not knowing where to start to turn my life around and live a happier, healthier life.

By starting to incorporate small, healthy habits slowly into your everyday life, this can help improve your living a lot. The more habits you start to add, the healthier your lifestyle gets.

What habits can you add into your lifestyle and how do you create a goal? 

When coming up with goals, the most important question to ask yourself is where you want this journey to take you?

Think of what you would like to improve in your life, whether it be your water intake, flexibility and strength or time spent on your phone, then make small goals for your everyday routine.

For example, if one of your goals is to drink more water you may drink a bottle right when you wake up and drink a cup every hour of the day, and eventually that will become a part of your routine. 

The further into your goals you get, the more habits you can keep adding into your routine, and before you know it, every habit becomes a simple part of your everyday routine therefore improving your lifestyle.

Need help creating habits to develop? Here are some examples of habits that I’ve developed that have changed my life completely:

• Going to the gym
  • Practicing yoga
  • Meditating in the morning and before bed
  • Journaling 
  • Gratitude journals
  • Reading before bed
  • Practicing detachment from social media 
  • Using positive affirmations
  • Drinking more water 
  • Cutting back caffeine intake
  • Stopping negative thought patterns and self talk

I highly recommend developing the routine of journaling, especially in the morning. This will set intentions for your day, therefore clearing your mind and helps to brainstorm goals you’d like to accomplish.

Here are some prompts I like to use in my morning journaling:

How do you feel this morning? What’s been heavy on your mind lately that you need to let go of? What are you grateful for today? What is your intention for the day? What are your goals for the day?

Setting an intention for the day is a perfect way to go into the day with a positive mindset and to accomplish your goals. This routine will set you up for success along your spiritual journey.

Keep in mind that nothing you do has to be rushed, one slight change in your routine is more progress than you started with. Learning how to not be too hard on yourself is a vital part of healing to keep moving forward.

Once you take the small first steps, everything starts coming together and you can begin furthering your journey, whether it be to become more spiritually inclined or even just maintain a healthy lifestyle.